The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automatic Supra

Guest Henessey

Guest Henessey

Im in the market for a Mark IV Supra, And I know about the pricing.

My main Question is; From a rolling start, 40-60mph, is an automatic TT that much worse than a 6 speed? What im really asking is since it is an automatic and i cannot downshift to get the rpm that i want to start at, will i be just the same threat from a roll as from a dead stop?

Second question: I have 3, well really 2 routes to go as for a supra.

1. automatic tt

2. 5 speed Na

3. 6 speed tt (id rather not)

How much work/money/parts dose it usually take to get NA-T supras into the 10's quartermile wise and build 500 whp?

Im aware the TT is a far better car off the bat, So if the answer to my 1st question is a good one, Im guessing tt automatic is right for me.

Thank you

I think a bpu auto is as quick as if not quicker than a bpu manual...

Why is that just purely because they change gear quicker, and stay in gear longer?

I thought the auto's lost some BHp thru the transmission, would that not slow them down?

Why is that just purely because they change gear quicker, and stay in gear longer?

I thought the auto's lost some BHp thru the transmission, would that not slow them down?

Basically because the rather good autobox shifts better than any human being in a straight line. It simply is foot to the floor for optimal performance. Human error or inexperience/technique can affect performance with the manual...

Thanks guys, But from a rolling start, lets say a 40-130mph dash, do auto TTs perform?

In my experience of driving on my long private driveway, I'd say 40-150 is really where the Auto TT shines. Phenominal (SP) power delivery all the way to the top, I'd say most people will bottle out long before the car does.

Guest Henessey
Wouldnt know mate - you're not allowed to go that fast :D

:) oh i NEVER go fast. Wow thats very good. Around here an auto TT cost about 16-18k usd. If i were to import one to the states... anyone know the garbage I have to go through to ship, and legalize an RZ? The RHD would be a nice touch

thanks alot guys

:) oh i NEVER go fast. Wow thats very good. Around here an auto TT cost about 16-18k usd. If i were to import one to the states... anyone know the garbage I have to go through to ship, and legalize an RZ? The RHD would be a nice touch

thanks alot guys

when i was about to move to the states i enquired into this and they said that my car would have to be dismantled and then shipped in parts and then rebuilt over there

nightmare