The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC mis-fire question ?

milocoon

I have just returned from France and the car was perfect for 850 miles and a pleasure to drive.

Has anybody on this forum had RLTC play up after driving for a LONG (300 miles) journey ?

My unit is next to the auto-box tunnel and after a 5 hour drive it threw a wobbly and caused the car to mis-fire just as I was getting on a ferry home, I had just refuelled so thought it was water in the fuel initially but a nagging doubt said it was an RLTC injector cut ! I did get the car on the ferry and it was a bit scary as the power was down and ranged from 300 to 1000 rpm on tickover and you could feel the vibration in the cabin. It was literally 1/2 mile from the ferry checkin to the ferry but of course it seemed to take ages. It had 6 hours to cool down on the crossing home and the car was perfect again.

1) Fuse Holder expanding / contracting with heat from the tunnel ?

2) RLTC Unit getting hot and causing misfire sequence ?

Thanks Milocoon

Is yours fitted with the plugs that come with it or hard soldered in?

I've heard that the plugs aren't so hot and the voltages are fairly high to the injectors, maybe you were getting some resistance in the circuit and weak signals to the injectors? That's the only scenario I've heard of misfires produced. I'd have expected all the time though.

Maybe the unit was just getting too hot where it's mounted.

I crimped and soldered the 6 wires to each plug as I wanted the option to go back to standard in case the RLTC played up. I`m suspecting the unit or possibly the inline fuse holder getting hot as they`re both next to the transmission tunnel although I have some bubble wrap keeping the RLTC away from direct contact. The other possibility is the "other half " does fidget and move her legs around in the footwell and may have moved the carpet a little and that may have moved the RLTC or the inline fuse holder. When it stops raining I think I`m going to site both of these in a different location. The multipin plugs are a really tight fit once you`ve worked out how to assemble them correctlly as you can put the pins in upside down in the plastic plugs so I don`t think its them. I`ll give RLTC a ring next week to see if they`ve any ideas. The misfire was like a sequence, with the Digital Adjuster you can try "injector cuts" in the menu and it felt like this and wouldn`t rev very high at all.