The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crappy hks filter!

squiffy

the soop got a well needed service today and while doing the plugs i had to take the throttle body off and was shocked/horrified to see the amount of shite coating the inside of the intake pipes!

cleaned it up as best i could but hate to think what the internals are like!:taped:

will have to get a proper filter, the amount that thing lets through is scary!

Guest McMsk

I once took some pistons of my old 7M-GTE (yeah, i had an MKIII) to an engine rebuild shop.

The guy looked at them and said "well, you've been running a K&N type filter the way those look", and well, yes, I had.

Is that the general concensus on stock parts coz I'm just starting the tuning process with an air filter and dump valve but have heard this before so not sure what to do. I was told to get an HKS/Apexi air filter and an HKS valve by Torque Deveolopments in Grays - any advice welcomed.

TBH when peeps go single you can throw the stock box into the bin and have no choice but to use an induction kit of some sort, as long as the oil changes are done more frequently you shouldnt have to worry about the degredation too much, as all the singles are running pretty much fine like this, id go for the Apexi if you dont want to go back to the old box, HKS is the worst out of the lot for filteration.

Is that the general concensus on stock parts coz I'm just starting the tuning process with an air filter and dump valve but have heard this before so not sure what to do. I was told to get an HKS/Apexi air filter and an HKS valve by Torque Deveolopments in Grays - any advice welcomed.

They told you that because they want your money. Fitting an aftermarket induction kit will reduce power and increase engine wear. As said already keep the stock airbox.

The HKS BOV will make no difference to performance, it just makes a nice whoosh sound between shifts.

edit: if you really must fit an inducation kit, go for the Apexi rather than the HKS.