The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need a new intercooler. Damnit!

RedM

Just had my SMIC looked at and the little fin things are very soft to the touch. I was told it's rotting.:(

My immediate to long-term plans for the Supra are BPU only. I cannot afford to have a single done properly.

So, I think I'm going to go for another SMIC and have already emailed Chris Wilson about his ones. I hear Greddy do a nice one but can't see them on any of the trader sites.

Reasons for not wanting an FMIC include losing the front spoiler, blocking the rad and no proper ducting. I have also been told that getting an FMIC that is too big can cause extra lag. True?

Opinions on any or all of this please.

Thanks.

Opinions on any or all of this please.

Thanks.

post up a picture of your current one..........how many butt ends are in it?:D does it have areas where its obvious minor impacts road debris has occurred. Are there areas between the solid (vertical i think) bars of ali where the first 4-5 rows deep of fins are missing ie the fins start 3-4mm back from the solid bars?

Sorry no I don't have a pic of a Supra one

At the moment I could do for around £580 + postage (around £40 by surface post). The Greddy SMIC also includes all new replacement hard pipes.

Sorry to go slightly off-topic but .... how much are a set of hard pipes to replace the standard rubber ones? (I have a CW SMIC and still have the OEM IC pipe work)

From when I read, the Greddy isn't too well thought of. I think I searched for it on SupraForums, and there was a lot of negative feedback.

Why is that Carl? The other Greddy IC's are popular and good quality, so what is the problem with the SMIC?

If a product is not worth the money, then I'll be the frst to say so, but to say it has negative feedback doesn't really tell us much.

Why is that Carl? The other Greddy IC's are popular and good quality, so what is the problem with the SMIC?

If a product is not worth the money, then I'll be the frst to say so, but to say it has negative feedback doesn't really tell us much.

Can't remember what they said. I'll go search again now.

This is what I turned up for now.. there are some flow ratings in there..

The only aftermarket SMIC I've ever heard of was a Greddy unit which I don't think they make anymore. It apparantly was worse than the stock SMIC.

23psi is way too much for it.

It's not a good IC to buy either.

A guy I know had the greddy SMIC. He didnt like it and sold it for a real FMIC. I think he said his car pulled harder with the stocker ic.

I haven never heard anything good about the greddy SMIC.

#1 Stock 93.5 Supra TT side mount Intercooler flows 251.0 CFM at, 20

inch's of H20 pressure

#2 Greddy TT side mount Intercooler kit flows 247.90 CFM at, 20 inch's

H20 pressure

#3 HKS 3 row 400mm x 265mm x 97mm flows 330.9 CFM at, 20 inch's H20

pressure

#4 Stock 1989 MA-71 Intercooler flows 169.0 CFM at, 20 inch's H20

pressure

The Greddy sidemount is missing the plastic ducting which seals the stock IC to the duct in the bumper.

Forcing all the air that gets in to go through the IC core via the ducting is a big plus of the stock sidemount over the greddy.

Just buy a good FMIC if you want to upgrade, the sidemount is not worth it, IMO.

get a greddy 2 row,enough to go small single if you ever wish to,the core isnt "huge",you will not lose the spoiler,all you will lose is the spoiler moving up and down at speed.The spoiler will remain locked in the down position.Your charge temps should also drop with a FMIC,IMO its definately the way forward if you are going BPU.