The mkiv Supra Owners Club

torque for wheel nuts?

smithy23

just put some bbs 18s on the soop and was wondering if anyone knew a recommended torque for the nuts? with the wheels being dear i dont want to over do it and crack one! got them off ebay for cheap and ive had them out for a blast and they are spot on, apart from a little kerbing, but you gets what you pay for!

I think I torqued mine to 110nm?

Yep 110nm, about 82lbs of torque, this should be fine, basically this is what I was advised for 18's on another car, no dought someone will tell me this is all wrong!

Recommended by Mr T is 76LBft or 103Nm. Don't go tighter as you may crack the alloy. Though I doubt 82 will have done any damge.

DONT what ever you do just tighten them hand tight and hope for the best. This is dangerous. Hand tight on a wratchet will be way too loose, hand tight on a meter bar will probably crack the wheel.

Might be OK on a Nova with steels but not a 300+ BHP car on alloys.

Recommended by Mr T is 76LBft or 103Nm. Don't go tighter as you may crack the alloy. Though I doubt 82 will have done any damge.

DONT what ever you do just tighten them hand tight and hope for the best. This is dangerous. Hand tight on a wratchet will be way too loose, hand tight on a meter bar will probably crack the wheel.

Might be OK on a Nova with steels but not a 300+ BHP car on alloys.

Well that's good news for me then knowing that a techy has come along to claify!

Thanks!

I've never used a torque wrench on my wheels in my life :) Never had a bolt undo or a wheel crack either. I always use the wheelbrace that comes with the car. I tighten the bolts up in a star pattern while the car is still jacked up, lower the car, and then re-tighten by pushing downwards and 'bouncing' about three times. When that produces no further movement I consider them "done up".

Not saying a torque wrench is wrong, just that I never use one. My local tyre place tightens to 100ft/lbs.

-Ian