The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which tyre/profile?

Kev.O

I should be getting some new tyres in the next week or so (well hopefully anyway) and I've had a few different opinions about the profile. What do you guys think? The fronts are 18" x 9" and the rears are 18" x 10.5". Which brand do you also recommend? I have CW suspension aswell so the car is slightly lowered!

Thanks in advance

Bobbeh- is there much benefit from going to wider tyres? I've got 245 (I think) on the front and 265 on the rears and suspect the rears will need to be replaced after then next airfied/track day.

Any thoughts? I've got Avon ZZ3's at the moment so want to stick with that make/model.

I should be getting some new tyres in the next week or so (well hopefully anyway) and I've had a few different opinions about the profile. What do you guys think? The fronts are 18" x 9" and the rears are 18" x 10.5". Which brand do you also recommend? I have CW suspension aswell so the car is slightly lowered! Thanks in advance

I'm not an expert, but you could do worse than asking CW what he thinks would work with his suspension set-up.

Or have those size wheels been put on since.

Probably a bit basic and probably done to death, but if you want to keep the outside diameter and rolling circumference of the wheels as close as possible to original, the following PROFILES (closest standard size) match the following widths on an 18" wheel...as to what widths to suit the wheel sizes you have, no comment.

235 and 245 - 40

255 and 265 - 35

275 - 30 or 35, 35 being marginaly closer

285, 295 and 305 - 30

Gaz you'll get more lateral grip and rubber to put the power down, as a result of upping mine with the power I have (stock) I find it hard to get the back out and its more prone to understeer, which kinda makes it safer as its less tail happy but a little less 'fun'?

They're also worse in wet weather as you're more prone to aquaplaning with wider tyres.

I'm pretty sure I know what CW will reccomend- stock UK wheels.

And a wise recommendation it would be.

Not just stock wheels, but stock tyre sizes, too. No attempts to fit 'larger' tyres in the stock rims, they won't sit properly.

If you're creating a track car with heavily modified suspension, weight etc then it's a different ball game, but for a street car Toyota did the homework for you.

And a wise recommendation it would be.

Not just stock wheels, but stock tyre sizes, too. No attempts to fit 'larger' tyres in the stock rims, they won't sit properly.

If you're creating a track car with heavily modified suspension, weight etc then it's a different ball game, but for a street car Toyota did the homework for you.

I'm almost always a form follows function guy (I assume a bit like yourself) but I do think the UK17's date the car badly.

I'm almost always a form follows function guy (I assume a bit like yourself) but I do think the UK17's date the car badly.

Form follows function --- yep, that's me:d

Aesthetics are subjective.

If you don't like the look of the wheels, then that is that. You find something else that you like.

But moving to 18, 19" (and beyond) is a different thing. And claiming (as some people do) technical and 'handling' benefits from such a move is even more of an illusion.

Being forced to paint rubber strips on 20" wheels and scrape the sump on every speedbump is not my idea of a 'streetcar':eyebrows:

Looks however are in the eye of the beerholder.

Tech benefits are not.

Form follows function --- yep, that's me:d

Aesthetics are subjective.

If you don't like the look of the wheels, then that is that. You find something else that you like.

But moving to 18, 19" (and beyond) is a different thing. And claiming (as some people do) technical and 'handling' benefits from such a move is even more of an illusion.

Being forced to paint rubber strips on 20" wheels and scrape the sump on every speedbump is not my idea of a 'streetcar':eyebrows:

Looks however are in the eye of the beerholder.

Tech benefits are not.

I would be the first to admit that my 18's compromise the handling over the uK17's I borrowed for a few weeks, but my alloys look far nicer and more modern. I was wrong on the front sizes btw- they are 235's.

Mine came with blingy 18" wheels.

Off they went. Handling improved.

Looks-wise, I like to be as low-profile as possible, so stock look was an improvement for me. Others see it as a step backwards. Hey, it's a free world!

• 5 weeks later...