The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Job?

charlieboo

Some idiot reversed into the front of my Supe last night.

Luckily for me, I heard the impact and managed to catch him before he could drive away. Unluckily for him, he has left a small dent in the centre of the nose of the Supe and the paint has been removed from an area about the size of a 50 pence piece.

The Supe has a Predator body kit (or so I’m told) and is metallic silver (as standard and not gunmetal). My question is, will the nose need replacing, filled and fully re-sprayed or just filled and sprayed over?

The offending chap would prefer to settle this without involving the insurance and I’m just wondering what is the best thing to do?

Thanks in advance.

I would say depending if the bumper is fibre glass or plastic.

if its fibre glass it can be filled smothed over and then resprayed if you go to a good body shop.

If its plastic, im not saying it will defenily work but my mate has an Astra (fool) but anyway he did the same to his, took the bumper off heated it up with a hairdryer until the plastic went softish and the dint pushed straight out. if it works then you only have paint to pay for.

But I would say if you think he was an honest guy and you think he was going to come and tell you what he did if you didnt go out then keep it as cheap for him as possible, but if he was about to drive away before you caught him them go the the most expensive place you can find and have his eyes out.

not very technical but neh mind...

ive been in this position wen i was a young un. any minor bumps and scuffs i had i would offer a cash settlement, or ask the owner of the damaged car to get a quote or two at a garage of there choice, id recieve the written quote and pay the bodyshop for the work. you could take it to Toyota bodyshop, get a super expensive quote, then say if he gives you the cash youll knock off £50.

if your happy with him paying for it, ensure you get all details,like reg, adress, name, phone num etc so if summet goes amiss you can get hold of him. if he doesnt fork out, you will then havehis details and can report him to the police.

First....make sure you have his reg, real name, address, insurance details.

He's only keen to go private to either keep his no claims discount and he thinks the repairs will be less than his excess, or because hes not insured.

Assuming he is insured, and you consider accepting a private deal, get a couple of quotes, but ensure they come from a decent bodyshop. But notify your insurance company as well, giving them the other guys details and tell them he accepted liability but wants to do it privately.

Then its no-mans land....it will cost more than the guy thinks it will, he can get it done cheaper and so on. Also, how can you be sure he will pay once the repairs are carried out. He may do the decent thing and pay up front, but what if the body shop comes up with a higher final bill.

In no-fault claims, however small, I would go through insurance evry time.

Guest mk47
First....make sure you have his reg, real name, address, insurance details.

He's only keen to go private to either keep his no claims discount and he thinks the repairs will be less than his excess, or because hes not insured.

Assuming he is insured, and you consider accepting a private deal, get a couple of quotes, but ensure they come from a decent bodyshop. But notify your insurance company as well, giving them the other guys details and tell them he accepted liability but wants to do it privately.

Then its no-mans land....it will cost more than the guy thinks it will, he can get it done cheaper and so on. Also, how can you be sure he will pay once the repairs are carried out. He may do the decent thing and pay up front, but what if the body shop comes up with a higher final bill.

In no-fault claims, however small, I would go through insurance evry time.

hey not trying to sound awkward - but thing is if you report any sort of accident to your insurance company, regardless of fault they will put it down on your record and come renewal time they will consider that accident (larger renewal premium)

im pretty sure thats how it works as i used to work for an insurance company, although its been 9 months now and i may be a bit rusty at remembering 100%. but im sure its along those lines.

id say if hes offering cash and you can get it back to how it was before the incident.. then keep it between yourselves and settle it. but make sure he is gonna pay you etc.

also all accidents have to be reported to your insurer within 24 hours or as soon as possible - so try not to leave it too late :)

hey not trying to sound awkward - but thing is if you report any sort of accident to your insurance company, regardless of fault they will put it down on your record and come renewal time they will consider that accident (larger renewal premium)

im pretty sure thats how it works as i used to work for an insurance company, although its been 9 months now and i may be a bit rusty at remembering 100%. but im sure its along those lines.

id say if hes offering cash and you can get it back to how it was before the incident.. then keep it between yourselves and settle it. but make sure he is gonna pay you etc.

also all accidents have to be reported to your insurer within 24 hours or as soon as possible - so try not to leave it too late :)

I'm not saying you are wrong:) and yes your insurers will note the claim, but I thought If it's a no-fault claim and the claim is met by the other party, then your record stays clean and your premium is unhurt.

Guest mk47

nah insurers always enter claims and then it does affect your price.. i remmeber plenty of people who called for quotes and had non fault claims, but it still affected the premium (i know this as i used to experiment by adding and removing claims)

maybe it was just for the company i worked for (hastings direct) or maybe all of them.