The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS works!

edd_t

The Supe is my first car with ABS. So in the past when having to stop suddenly I have always had the enjoyment of the front wheels locking up and pretty much going where ever they want. And until today, I hadnt been in a situation in the Supe to find out if it works.

This morning I was driving down a road doing somewhere between 30 and 40. I was on the wrong side because of parked cars.

This kid in a yellow Pug 106 decided to pull out between the cars with out looking. It was all very quick, but I'd say i was only about 3 car lengths from him when he did it. He saw me and stopped dead, right in my way.

So I slammed on the breaks very hard, everything shot forward, and ended up in the footwells. I really thought I was about to T-Bone him! But the Supe stopped with about 15 inches to go!

Gotta say that at no point did i feel like i didnt have control of the front end of the car. So ABS is pretty cool stuff :ok:

Try and drive without it coming in, dont let it save you to the point you have to rely on it. Always have other exits / hoock up points ready to use if you break traction in corners under breaking.

ABS does tend to make you lazy.

Agreed. Kids today have it easy bah! When I were a lad etc. etc. ;)

ABS rocks. I have used it once at about 80mph. It was pissing down with rain and the car was barely slowing down as i was heading for a head on...nothing i could do (other guys fault) The good thing is it slowed me as much as it could, which turned out to be JUST enough. If i didnt have ABS i would have locked up and it WOULD have gone pear shaped!

ABS rocks. I have used it once at about 80mph. It was pissing down with rain and the car was barely slowing down as i was heading for a head on...nothing i could do (other guys fault) The good thing is it slowed me as much as it could, which turned out to be JUST enough. If i didnt have ABS i would have locked up and it WOULD have gone pear shaped!

similar thing happened to me, but at 40mph...without ABS Im sure I would have locked the wheels....bloody amateur that I am :D

Last time it snowed here and settled, I was going down a hill (Colehill down to Canford Bottom Rndbt, for the locals) that was particularly slippery and as soon as I backed off the accelerator to coast, the back end started fish-tailing under engine braking alone. I thought braking would make it worse, but as I slid toward a bend I panicked and braked...the car straightened up, I steered round the bend and I was pleasantly relieved. I've never taken ABS for granted since.

Saved me to when a fool on a scooter went around me then turned into a junction directly in front of me!

Please edit that to 'hairdryer'.

Tell you what, some riders are absolutely useless. Much kudos to those considerate bikers out there who have to deal with city traffic though.

Back on topic (mini rant over) :D