The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best polish

pistonbroke

I decided to polish the car yesterday, seeing as its coming up to the warmer months when red cars really have a tendancy to go slightly camp in colour. So I bought some autoglym high resin polish along with an application pad and polishing mitt, after cleaning the car I polished the car as I have always polished my other cars. I never remember having problems before, but then again I've never had a car thats had such good condition paintwork so I may never have noticed, thing is, I now have loads of swirl effect light scratches all over the car. Obviously, the autoglym must have some sort of cut agent in it which has caused the swirls.

Does anyone know of a polish that has none, or at least a very fine cutting agent to get rid of the existing swirls and leave a nice mirror shine.?

I think its the first time my cars been polished since its new coat of paint about eight months ago, the scratched I'm talking about are very very fine and cannot be noticed, unless your some sort of anal retentive clean car freak like me who knew what the paint looked like prior to polishing.

if it ws painted a few weeks ago the swirls/scratches could be off the electric polisher some paint shops use to bring the paintwork back up after they rub bits of shit outa the paint.i'v seen this when they use a cutting compound.

sounds like they may have been introduced when washing or polishing at some stage?

You shouldn't have swirls becuase you are meant to polish in straight lines (or randomly with a random tool)

you could use a random buffer and a fine compound to remove the swirls if you are that concerned about them?

Guest supra01

NO NO NO [ANGRY][/ANGRY]

don,t use anything unlesss it's colour magic it's the best and don,t take of a layer of paint each and everytime use polish yr car[sHOCK][/sHOCK]

AdAM:cool:

sounds like they may have been introduced when washing or polishing at some stage?

You shouldn't have swirls becuase you are meant to polish in straight lines (or randomly with a random tool)

you could use a random buffer and a fine compound to remove the swirls if you are that concerned about them?

polish in stright lines i used to think this too but apparently is complete bull i asked the guy who moped mine and the guy at the body shop

not each time, I'm talking about just the once to get the finish you want, then keep it that way. My friend did it to his brand new car (even asked the dealer not to polish or mop it because of the swirls and scratches) and he random moped it once and then kept it mint - it was black, shows every little thing grrr

colour magic might well hide it all, but you will have to use it every time you polish

polish in stright lines i used to think this too but apparently is complete bull i asked the guy who moped mine and the guy at the body shop

really? that's what I was told, oh. But circular motions cause swirls? Do you use a random mop? I was thinking of getting one, a decent one and just using that for polish

okey dokey..........

The scratches will come out easily enough.....

Get some Meguiars Crystal Pain Cleaner (stage 1)

Some Megs ScratchX

2 Gold Applicator pads

Some Tech Wax

Wash and dry the car using cloths (not sponges)

Using the paint cleaner and a terry towel (100% cotton), apply VERY small amounts of paint cleaner one panel at a time, removing with a dry part of the towel

Apply some scratch X to an applicator pad and work vigorously into the areas containing swirl marks.

They WILL go away.

The molecules in the scratch X degrade (basically the particles start at a certain size and as you rub they eventually disappear) so you will need to keep applying frequently until the sctratches are removed.

Then apply techwax and buff to a mirror finish.

You SHOULD wash the car using straight lines:

Horizontal on the bonnet and roof

Vertical on the doors, panels and bumpers

This is due to fine particals of dust or road dirt which WILL scratch your paintwork. Finely at first but it will prevent and mirror or wet look finish in time. By following the straight line process, you will not prevent making the scratches, but make them far less visible because they follow your eyeline instead of crossing it.

In terms of wax, random or circular patterns are fine as your car should be VERY clean if you have done it properly. If you doubt your washing ability then don't wax it or instead use light pressure in straight lines. Use tiny amounts of wax regardless of anything. Will give you a much brighter finish if you can use little wax

I would recommend a lambswool mitt and a few microfibre cloths.

I have a black car which are notorious for scratches/swirls, I can't see any though:

http://stealthhosts.com/mertoc/5.jpg

http://stealthhosts.com/mertoc/16.jpg

http://stealthhosts.com/mertoc/20.jpg