The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bomex bumper fit problems

paul mac

being in the middle of fitting one of these (amongst other things) and reading posts about piss poor fit particularly on the passenger side i thought i'de post up my findings, i got the bumper (fibreglass copy) second hand off a trader so was under no illusions it would slide straight on, after offering it up it was obvious something was amiss with the passenger side as it stuck out about 10mm further than the drivers side, when you measure this side up it is for some reason different to the drivers side ?,pic 1 drivers side, pic2 passenger side, pic 3 after 10 minutes of grinding, pic 4 final (ish) fit, after grinding the hell out of it i fibreglassed a piece of ally in for something to bolt to

bomex 008.jpg

bomex 007.jpg

bomex yaris 004.jpg

bomex yaris 003.jpg

Guest gzaerojon

been there done that, binned it, bought a new one

there's a really cr@p warped batch of bomex bumpers going around, i think they started on ebay

dont know where mine came from but it fits spot on now, i think fibreglass has a bit of a bad rep to be honest you have to remember it is hand made so is prone to human error, i would say you have to do a bit of "adjustment" with anything fibreglass for a spot on fit

That's odd mate. I would have thought a 2nd hand one would fit fine because it had already been adjusted where necessary.

Go figure.

it had never been fitted and had been kicking round the guys garage for a while, it then kicked around my garage for another year lol, i got it cheap

Guest gzaerojon
dont know where mine came from but it fits spot on now, i think fibreglass has a bit of a bad rep to be honest you have to remember it is hand made so is prone to human error, i would say you have to do a bit of "adjustment" with anything fibreglass for a spot on fit

but surely if it came from a mould then they should all be the same, and if the mould was warped then who in there right mind would continue knocking them out warped? the one i bought was out in exactly the same places, i tried a few things but gave up in the end. same thing too, i bought it second hand from a guy who said he bought it then just changed his mind. as soon as i tried to fit it i could see why :(

i got a do luck now :D

but surely if it came from a mould then they should all be the same, and if the mould was warped then who in there right mind would continue knocking them out warped? the one i bought was out in exactly the same places, i tried a few things but gave up in the end. same thing too, i bought it second hand from a guy who said he bought it then just changed his mind. as soon as i tried to fit it i could see why :(

i got a do luck now :D

it wasn't warped, the passenger side has been made slightly different to the drivers side i have no idea why you would think if you were copying an origonal they would be the same but it isn't, perhaps the guy was pissed or it was a Friday afternoon who knows, i took the angle grinder with a 60 grit pad to it and all is now well in fast and furious land

Guest gzaerojon

sounds like a good job mate, i spent hours on mine but gave up in the end :(

th be honest i think mine was worse, even the top section was too low to reach the top bolts, i had to bend sh!t out of it to make it reach

paul your custom bonnet looks good.how you go about marking it all up making sure its even.always wonder what they do.

your bonnet looks great

i got some pics of the original bonnet and scaled it up, my other passtime is model making (dont laugh) mostly WW2 german armour so learn about scaling when scratch building, for the none tank builders i could post up measurements lol

sounds like a good job mate, i spent hours on mine but gave up in the end :(

th be honest i think mine was worse, even the top section was too low to reach the top bolts, i had to bend sh!t out of it to make it reach

mine aint that bad mate i can sympathise no amount of grinding would sought that out :D