The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel problem

Guest Phil Stephens

Guest Phil Stephens

Hi there, i would guess that most people may know this but if like me who didnt, here goes... I recently bought a Jap spec TT 6spd Supra, i got it in the mainland and brought it over to Northern Ireland where i live. I had been running it with Ultimate super unleaded petrol (octane 97). Things were fine only after a few days it seemed to lose the 'big kick' when the 2nd turbo kicked in. I thought it was losing boost so i checked pipes etc. Everything looked ok. I got the car checked out and found it was pinking- 'self destruct' mode was mentioned. So, the outcome is this- the super unleaded fuel in Northern Ireland is balls- for a Jap spec Supra anyway. It should be running on 98 at the very least to 100 octane fuel. Once i added the 'high octane booster' additive to the fuel the car stopped pinking and began to run as normal. It means i have to add this forever now but i dont mind at all. The boost is set to 1.1 bar and the 'big kick' is back, things are wonderful again. Thought i might mention this to anyone who's interested. [COOL][/COOL]

Guest Flat4_ire
I heard about the Optimax, we dont even have it over here. I guess i'll have to stick to the additive.

mine ran absolutely fine on 95ron which is all we have in the Rep Of Ireland

Guest Phil Stephens

I was told i could get the computer re-programmed to run on 95 or 97 octane, but i think it was expensive. I was too glad to have the car back to normal so i didnt enquire about much further.

Guest Phil Stephens

Thanks everyone for all your comments, i decided to drive it for a few days- see how things went, since the fuel additive has been added it hasnt missed a beat, so hopefully thats all it was. I've a picture of the car on my computer but i'm still trying to figure out how to get it on the forum pages.

Guest Phil Stephens

When i drove it away from the garage that checked the tuning of it, they were 100% happy with it once the additive was added. As far as i know the ecu wasnt reset, i know the guy who owns the garage and he seems very switched on, so i'm pretty confident it's sorted now.