The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tinted windows anyone?

captainchaos

I've got light front and medium backs.. I think they are fine.. I wouldn't want any darker on the fronts because when its dark and rainy its a little darker than normal.

I've only been pulled over once with them done - but told the policeman his windows were darker than mine so he let me go :-)

Heres some pics for you :-)

http://www.tripkings.co.uk/images/supe1.jpg

http://www.tripkings.co.uk/images/supe2.jpg

Mine came with tints, don't know what they used but you can see the join and they did the back window in one piece.

have yours been removed then? I thought tints on the front sides were a no-no?

just curious as you're part of the country's constabulary.

mine cost me £250 and they removed the door trims etc...

aparently they won't smash if you try to get in from the outside :-) They will just break and you'll need to hit them "a lot" to actually get the window to fall out or to make a hole. The chap showed me a demonstration with a piece of glass he had... And he hit it about 8 times full on with a hammer and he couldn't make a hole in it.. Well impressed for security :)

have yours been removed then? I thought tints on the front sides were a no-no?

just curious as you're part of the country's constabulary.

considering that pic was taken at the weekend i'd say no, they're still on there:D

As long as they allow 70% of light in on the sides they're legal and 75% on the windscreen for vehicles 1st used on or after 1st April 1985. See here.

However its not tested as part of the mot, but I know VOSA carry a chart to compare your window.

sorry if it sounded like i was getting at you, far from it. the reason i asked is that i'm thinking of getting the darker tints from the rear of mine removed and just going for a light smoke all round.

it looks like the fronts on yours are even darker than light smoke so i reckon i'd get away with it? :)

just a word or warning, your front windows are tinted as standard, around 18%-25% so putting a light smoke (30%) will take you over the lagal limit. I am unfortunately living proof of the law. 3 points, £60 fine and having to remove them at the side of the road in the pissing rain at 1.30 in the morning. This was on my old car, but then the silver part only allowed something like 3% in....ooops :(

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6186/img0160size7cm.th.jpg

just a word or warning, your front windows are tinted as standard, around 18%-25% so putting a light smoke (30%) will take you over the lagal limit. I am unfortunately living proof of the law. 3 points, £60 fine and having to remove them at the side of the road in the pissing rain at 1.30 in the morning. This was on my old car.

so you would think that Doug's side windows would be way over the limit then? :confused: