The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheeky Bastards

mattanna

Just read this on mk111 site, some of you may have seen it, and this coming from people who want to look like David Hasselhof, cheeky bastards: Renowned for its ugly headlights and laughter inducing spoiler, the mk4 burst onto the scene in 1993, replacing the previous model.

The target audience was primarily the 30 somethings of city life. Members of society who had missed their niche in life and hopelessy needed to cling on to any form of their masculinity that still remained. The lure of the 326 bhp engine was too much for these misguided individuals, as they strode on down to their toyota dealer with their prized canary yellow BMW 3 series ready to part exchange.

Generally, the owners of the new £44,000 supercar tended to live a solitary life, hidden away in their city apartments, which nearly always afforded a viewover the car park in which to gaze at their new purchase. Little did they know of course that their neighbouring residents also had the luxury of the car park view, and regularly held dinner parties where the drunken guests would flick luxury mayonaisse out of the adjoining window onto the pram shaped automobile below, between fits of constant laughter and jibes at the expense of the supras oversized Mr Magoo headlights.

The car's performance however was certainly one of the few features not to be laughed at.. 0-60 was achieved in around 4.9 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 13.8 secs was certainly respectable. It is a shame howver that the manufacturers decided to fit an active front spoiler, that engaged at 50 mph and caused the front of the mk4 to look like a demented dog with its tongue rolling out of its mouth. Many motorway accidents were caused by the hilarity that ensued.

The engine however was a work of art. Twin Sequential turbos pushed the supra along at an alarming pace, much needed when popping the respective owner down to Waitrose for his weekly top up of Lynx and Houmous. The rest of the mechanicals were also of excellent quality, inlcuding the Torsen Differential and Traction Control, which controlled wheelspin to such a degree that made it impossible for the new owner to induce tyre squealing exits from his favourite Italian Bistro car park, as had been possible with his old BMW. Luigi was certainly grateful of this as a result. Yet again, the mk4 supra had gained itself another fan.

All in all, the mk4 supra is a superb car. If you ignore the Sea Monkey headlights and the oversized handle for opening the boot the overall aesthetics are quite pleasing. Interior comfort is good and the standard features and performance are certainly not to be sneezed at. It is a shame howver that somewhere along the production process the designers realised that they had forgotten some vital features, such as front inidicators.. and proceeded to 'get some out of the back ' and fit them into any hole they could find in a desperate attempt to conform to the laws of the land.

We now believe that the designer responsible for the front end has now been dismissed from toyota, and is currently working as the consultant architect on the Eden project, somewhere where his favourite material can be used without ridicule.

adi, mkiiisupra.net

Matt:(

Not really bothered, just thought it was amusing i'm sure most of them are fine, however this site does not have a section with the history of the supra as it is a mkiv site and we don't claim to know lots about the other models so leave them alone

I'm not going to judge the people on the mkiii forum just because of what one person has written about the mkiv. In my view what's been said is out of order, but i'm putting that down to someones attempt to make the mkiii more appealing.

I am a huge fan of the mkiii as it was my first Supra. I still haven't brought myself round to getting rid of it! The headgasket has blown, which is now fixed, but other than that it's been great.

I am a fan of all things Supra, what car's have been and what are (hopefully) to come.

i thinks its a well written piss take, perhaps we need to write one about the mk3 everyone i see is covered in rust, i cringe at the fact it shares the same name as my car, many of them have tow bars (for the caravan), marvel as the head gasket exits the exhaust pipe when following one, how do they manage with so little power, i'me sure we could think up more lol