The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting my calipers at the weekend..

Mike

Yep, decided to go with bright red, with white Supra stickers...

Now I have *never* done anything like this before on a car, yeah sure I've painted the odd skirting board and done odd bit of emulsion (well, the entire falt we live in), but never anything car related... so any tips?

I've got a wire brush attachment for my drill to get the crap off them, then rub over with white spirit (tip from a mate, not sure why?) and then hammerite smooth... but how many coats? one enough?

I'm taking it up to the mother in-laws to do it in their garage, hoping I'm going to get it done in a day...?

I know this isn't really up to the 'I'm fitting a single turbo' size job, but thought I'd see if there any any potential f@ck ups I could make... if there are, I've no doubt I'll find them.... ;)

Its really easy mate, i've done other cars i've had before. As you say give em a good brush down with a wire brush, being careful not to hit the disk if your leaving them on (i would its easier) Not sure aboutt he white spirit bit, i've never done that before, but yes it would help to remove any grease on them so the paint can bond better. I bought a tin of the hammerite paint for mine a couple of weeks back and i think it says that 2 coats will be enough, but make sure the second coat is applied within 8 hours. By the time you have gone round each caliper once you should be able to come back to the first and apply another coat. When i do mine i will also be painting the hub part of the disks black to tidy that up to. The bit where the wheel site up to.

You'll be fine mate, just take your time and make sure you dont join the pad to the caliper when you do the little fiddly bits on the inside!

You've pretty much got everything sorted SonicSoop. Although I'd use sprayable brake cleaner instead, rather than white spirit.

mask off as much as you can on the disc and then spin the disc round so that the masked area is inside the caliper area.

You shold do 2 or three thin coats to avoid drips etc. You should really leave the paint to dry overnight, but in the past I have put the wheels back on and driven home after letting the paint dry for a couple of hours. If thats the case, be extra careful not to hit the calipars when putting the wheels back on!

If you take them off, do not forget to use locking compoud when you are putting them back on! This can be crucial!

I'm leaving them on!

If you can, put the car on axel stands and do all four wheels at the same time.

I don't have any mate, it'll be crappy jack, wheel off, paint, dry, wheel on and so on.... might have to go round the lot a couple of times...

Thanks for he advice guys, mucho appreciated... :thumbs:

I'll post some pics when done....

Do you varnish over the sticker afterwards?

apparently not... they just say stick them on and they're fine... there is a big old explanation of how they are 'specially made' for the job on their flee-bay description...

I'll report back if they start to peel off... ;)

Guest supra01

Excellent

Brake Caliper Paint

Brake Caliper Paint you give your Supra a sporty appearance. The complete set includes a cleaning spray and a two-part paint system (enough for 4 brake calipers).

Easy application

OEM quality two part paint

Heat resistant

Hard finish with good gloss retention

Savage

Brake Caliper Paint

ADs

1111111111111111.jpg

apparently not... they just say stick them on and they're fine... there is a big old explanation of how they are 'specially made' for the job on their flee-bay description...

I'll report back if they start to peel off... ;)

I bought a set of stickers of ebay. They have been on the calipers over a year now and they still look great.

I bought some of these stickers too, about 3months back, and some red paint, but i went for the brembo sticker instead of supra, looks pretty nice :D

Pretty easy to do, just be careful not to apply to much paint to the calipers if you are leaving them on, they tend to run a lil when they are drying

Photo-0189.jpg

Fairly pleased with the results... sorry about the rubbish phone piccies!

Before

http://sonic.toucansurf.com/28052006(003).jpg

After painting

http://sonic.toucansurf.com/28052006(005).jpg

Finished article

http://sonic.toucansurf.com/28052006(008).jpg

I just did the front two, because we had a bit of a heavy night on Saturday, so I'm doing the rears next week....

Looking good! You're local aren't you!? You can do mine if you're bored :)

:lol:

It was a *really* easy job.. even for a cack handed moron like me..! just very time consuming and my back still hurts after sitting on concrete for a few hours...!

Charlotte wants her Clio done next, Lamborghini yellow... yeah it's a 1.6 Si, but I think she's getting carried away...

so you might have to get in the queue.. ;)