The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much are turbo refurbs?

RedM

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Downside is it will have steel internals and won't have the wondefrful spool of the stock ceramic internals.

Hmmm, didn't know that. The spool will be quicker though when decatted, I assume? Plus, with steel internals I'd not be limited to the 1.2 bar Jspec limit. Am I on the right track?

paul, you say 400/410 on hybrids, thats only another 30bhp more than on stock twins with bpu (always hearing that bpu is about 380-400bhp), the single upgrade would be the better route to take surely for greater power and reasonable cost

I guess it depends how far you want to take it. Hybrids use all the same pipework and setup you have as standard. A single requires alot more work.

If my turbos failed then I personally would get a single fitted because the cost of hybrids is pretty close to a single anyway. I guess it depends how many of the other mods you have which you would need to go single.

you are best running ceramics with their MUCH quicker spool.

Are they *that* much better? I've heard this level of enthusiasm from Jake too.

Is there any way I can retrofit some jap ceramics to my UK car? Replace the manifold or something..?

I guess it depends how far you want to take it. Hybrids use all the same pipework and setup you have as standard. A single requires alot more work.

If my turbos failed then I personally would get a single fitted because the cost of hybrids is pretty close to a single anyway. I guess it depends how many of the other mods you have which you would need to go single.

i too would do that, a little maore hassle but the outcome would be so much better

Are they *that* much better? I've heard this level of enthusiasm from Jake too.

Is there any way I can retrofit some jap ceramics to my UK car? Replace the manifold or something..?

Not really, manifolding, downpipe, cams, ecu, wiring loom, MAP sensor, blah blah, just flog it and buy a J-Spec if you are that bothered about the last bit of performance :)

Not really, manifolding, downpipe, cams, ecu, wiring loom, MAP sensor, blah blah, just flog it and buy a J-Spec if you are that bothered about the last bit of performance :)

I was thinking how i'd like a white car just last night..

paul, you say 400/410 on hybrids, thats only another 30bhp more than on stock twins with bpu (always hearing that bpu is about 380-400bhp), the single upgrade would be the better route to take surely for greater power and reasonable cost

Hybrids you can do to save you the hassle of fitting singles and the associated back-up stuff and PROPER mapping required to make them work (and I am yet to be convince by any of the piggyback stuff) - even then they cause a load of probs elsewhere in the engine as it searches around for the weakest link to break!

Singles are nowt but problems unless done properly - and most people wont spend the required money to do these properly!

The stock rarely makes 380 HP mate - well only down the pub - and quite honestly why would you need more?

Lights blue touch paper and retires... ;)