The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra v RX7

Guest Steve Burnett

Guest Steve Burnett

Hello to you all!

I have recently sold my RX7 and am now begining to look for another car. The Supra is one that I am looking into.

I was interested to hear from people the have owned both cars and what there thoughts are on them?

Also, the boring stuff. Can you fit two people in the back of the Supra (I had the rear bins in my RX7 as the seats were just stupid) Is the boot bigger then the RX7?

Im just away to look at the FAQ's but could you just answer this one, what mpg do you get on a stock Supra? My FD was putting out about 300 atf and gave about 14mpg.

Thanks

Steve

hi mate, i hvae had both supe is a better everyday car by a mile and deffo more comftarble than rex.

mpg 22-24, u can fit people in supra more so than an rx7 but still cramped a bit, the boot to be honest is not much bigger than rx7 if it is bigger.

supras are very nice to drive and dont feel like your in a cramped very smooth cars.

but i do love rx 7 just for the more fun factor but hey get a single turbo supra and that is an animal.

Guest Steve Burnett

thanks for that.

My FD was not too costly to run except from when I had to buy and fit an Apexi ECU. Whats the Supra like for servicing and running cost compared with the FD. How often is servicing required?

thanks for that.

My FD was not too costly to run except from when I had to buy and fit an Apexi ECU. Whats the Supra like for servicing and running cost compared with the FD. How often is servicing required?

a doddle mate, plugs are easy job and plenty of space same as the oil change and filter very easy cars to work with..

as for servicing plugs,oil,oil filter,gearbox oil etc etc do this the first time u get one and it should last a good 2000-5000 miles

Guest Steve Burnett

gear box oil every 2-5K miles? thats not a lot of miles. I thought the oil actually would have been roughly every 6-8K miles unlike the FD's every 3K. Not that changing the oil is big job.

I have had several of each. Supra far more reliable (different league), fairly easy and cheap to service, between 24 and 10 MPG, depending how you drive it. Handling is nothing like as good, it's a big barge compared to an RX-7, but for a big barge it's excellent. Back seats are all but useless for people. If I owned another MKIV I'd change engine oil at 10,000 mile intervals, gearbox at about 30,000 mile intervals, together with diff oil. Don't buy any car like a Supra TT, Skyline turbo, et cetera expecting low running costs to be set in stone, if something major goes wrong you can easily get bills for many thousands. Out of the import bunch the Supra and the Integras have to be the most reliable and well built though.

Guest Steve Burnett

Coming from an RX7 I know all about running costs!!!

Worst thing was if anything needed done to the FD I had to go to Manchester, thant alone added a good few hundred of £££ onto the bill.

Id love another FD but a Supra could be taken care of more locally than a 600-700 mile round trip.