The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Too many to choose from, but what one clears the towing eye

DamanC

Evening chaps, today i have been mostly going to a rolling road only to find they dont have an automatic program and they cant run mine *sigh*

anyway having decured a set of OEM skirts and spats i want to decide on a look for the front. To be honest i havent got a clue what i want after many months of searching, so i come to you wise people.

Basically i want to do something with the front at the same time i get my skirts sprayed and fitted. There is however a catch......after braking down a few months ago, due to a split in an ATF pipe, i want something that is going to be practical and would like the opertunaty to still have the option of using my towing eye. Knowing my luck, if i go out and slap something nice on there, ill break down and have to tear it apart to get to the towing eye.

What are my options? and is there a way around the towing eye solution?

Im going to posible lower the car everso slightly more so ideally i dont want a bumper that is going to act as a snow plough.

There is a pic of my car below, obviosly without the skirts and spats. your recomendations please :)

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/6238/imgp08327dw.jpg

didnt think you could tow a auto ... well supra autos? doesnt it kill the box as when its towed theres no oil pumped round the gear box... something like that anyway ....

best check up but you might not need the towing eye... unless your thinking of going down a ditch :)

n00b

Cheers mark :)

n00b, its not to tow it, its so they can load it onto a low loader......mind you, i could just laugh it off and tell them to put it on from the rear......but them what do you do at rolling roads, strap it from the rear?

Cheers mark :)

n00b, its not to tow it, its so they can load it onto a low loader......mind you, i could just laugh it off and tell them to put it on from the rear......but them what do you do at rolling roads, strap it from the rear?

whoops sorry bud :)

As said already mate it looks good as it is. Something dead simple that can make a big difference is painting the black lip on the underside of your front bumper. That, plus the skirts, will make a world of difference. I did it on my old car (see sig for pics) and thought it looked very good. Alternatively why not go for just a new lip/splitter. Would change the look of the front while keeping all the advantages of the stock bumper.

I agree, you car look stunning Daman, leave it as it is !

I've had the Veilside skirts and front for a long time now and other than looking good (IMO :)) they're a complete PITA. The fit is as expected with a kit, but jacking up is a pain because you need to drive onto a brick to get the jack under, and you loose the towing eye with the front. In fact, I think you loose it with the intercooler too ??

I like the look of the Toyota sideskirts, rear spats and UK front though. Hmmmm, maybe time for a change....

The spoiler was functional yes and i only had 1 problem with scuffing it while going up my parents' driveway which is pretty steep. Otherwise its not usually a problem cos it only comes down at 60+ mph and the only roads i tend to that speeds are fairly flat ones. Its very easy to paint as well. I used Halfords "out of a can stuff". Its usually on offer 3 for 2 as well. Let me know if you want more detailed instructions.

As said already mate it looks good as it is. Something dead simple that can make a big difference is painting the black lip on the underside of your front bumper. That, plus the skirts, will make a world of difference. I did it on my old car (see sig for pics) and thought it looked very good. Alternatively why not go for just a new lip/splitter. Would change the look of the front while keeping all the advantages of the stock bumper.

That's exactly what I need to do. My car is lowered and has Veilside skirts and spats. It really need the black lip painted silver.

I'm still toying with the idea of having an active spoilter fitted. It doesn't look like it comes down that much from that picture. Is that fully extended?

Guest Garfy

Daman, your car looks great as it is, almost the same as mine.

However I do like the idea of colour coding the black plastic parts, Gareth did you realy use standard halfords paint to do that? also does it chip off?

Thanks,

Garath

Yup it was indeed halfords own. I gave the bumper trim a good rub down with rough sandpaper to give it a key to stick to. Then about 3 coats of plastic primer (halfords own), about 3-4 coats of Toyota Lucerne Silver (i think that how its spelt, also halfords own, finished off with 2 coats of halfords own lacquer.

It only chips if you catch the bumper on something but tbh because its a flexible plastic this would happen with any paint or bumper. And even if it does chip, its about 20 quid and a few hours of a job to repair it. I should know it happened to mine. :p

I have had this issue, I have a Bomex front, and have had to have it winched onto a low loader, namely when one of my wheels fell off, so had no choice, the car had to get on there, and yes my front was causing some issues, to the degree that my mate had to stand on the winch cable to help keep it as low as possibly while getting the car on, and secondly I dont think I have ever seen a Bomex front flex so much under the strain of the cable wanting to rip through it in two pieces......how the feck it stayed on and didnt damage I can only kiss my hairy plums in grattitude........ ;)