The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please Help

Mike M

Think i'm being paranoid with the new car but i think it's making a bit more than tyre noise from the rear, sounds like a quiet wheel bearing drone but i've been waving from side to side down the road and the noise is constant unlike a wheel bearing noise. It's def speed dependant not revs and starts about 20mph.

It seemed a little louder on a slow tight left turn for some reason. Anyone else experienced this or is it normal. Cars an RZ 6sp with LSD.

It could be I just never heard it over the exhaust on my last one as the TT is very quiet even with the Apexi.

Slightly concerned Mike

i hope it's not the same problem as i've had Mike, been doing it for ages and no amount of different wheels, different tyres, diff oil changes etc has made any difference so far.

i'm planning on going down to see CW in a couple of months so he can take a look at it for me.

I had this and swore blind either my diff was on the way out or a wheel bearing was knackered. Then I changed the front tyres and it went completely which really threw me as I could have sworn the noise was from the back!! What tyres have you got on the front?

Does the rearend shimmy back and forth while going down the road? Feels like it's getting lose or wandering? Gets worse in the wet? Mine was really bad also. Make sure the Subframe bolts are torqued to proper specs *search button*. Then get a proper 4 wheel alignment. Mine still does it a little, but not half as bad as a year ago.

Front tyres are Maxxis, never heard of them, sound like cheapo nasties.

Here are a few pics anyway.

[ATTACH]36154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36157[/ATTACH]

Didn't find any lumps amongst the drain plug magnet so thats good. Drain plug was tight but a short sharp tap with the hammer then trying again worked wonders.

I think there is a very slight movement on the driveshaft, i was pushing up on it. Can't feel anything on the propshaft just lots of clunks from the gearbox when rocking it from side to side.

Also there is no rear wheel play at all.

Just got the oil back in, she took about 1.6L so i'll see how it goes.

Mike

I had this and swore blind either my diff was on the way out or a wheel bearing was knackered. Then I changed the front tyres and it went completely which really threw me as I could have sworn the noise was from the back!! What tyres have you got on the front?
changed my wheels and tyres ,it was like a new car.yes front tyres:search: ;)

changed my wheels and tyres ,it was like a new car.yes front tyres:search: ;)

hmmmmm, am due some new tyres soon so fingers crossed that and a full alignment will do the trick. :)

ps

sorry for the hi-jack Mike.

It's fine supra man, it's intersting about the front tyres. Maybe i should swap the wheels round just to try.

Just been out and the noise is still the same, thought it was maybe the rear pads rubbing but the noise is there when braking.

Ah well at least I know the state of the diff.