The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Springs

Mark Ayling

I have posted this question on the "Big List", but thought I'd try here as well...

At Trax I noticed that my car seemed to be a lot higher (mainly at the front) than others, so I decided I need to lower it a bit.

What are the best springs to get?  I understand I won't need to change the shocks as well, I have the Toyota Bilsteins at the moment.

Also, is there anything else I need to know about...?

TIA,

Mark.

Eibach springs can throw the handling of the car out a bit, it brings the front of the car down which means the car doesnt sit as Toyota intended and when you brake hard the rear becomes a bit light. Its not really that noticeable and I got used to it at Silverstone but first time it does it will make you back off for a second.

However, I dont know of any other spring that will be any better and everything else about the eibach seems good, the turn in is much sharper, the ride is about the same and the car sits nice and low now. Do watch out for which shocks you get as there are apparently 3 types of Bilstein shocks available.

JB

Mark...........

If you go for the Eibach springs BE CAREFUL.

Justin's springs are Eibach and I discovered they were the real hard track versions... totally unsuited to ordinary fast-road use. In fact, the car handles like total sh$te.

The best kit to go for, Mark, in my opinion, is the Whiteline suspension upgrade. You get adjustable springs and shocks plus adjustable anti-roll bars front and rear plus some trick uprated front lower-arm bushes for about a grand.

Richard Jenkins had the kit fitted on his MKIV and he really rated it.

I'm dead curious and want to fit the kit to my car but, as you know, it's not yet back on the road.

Your car could well be an ideal test-bed as suspension is something no-one has yet really gone into with the MKIV. The only person (to my knowledge) that did, wrote his car off.

So what I'm saying is, if you order and pay for the kit, I'll fit the whole lot for free.

Yours,

J  

Hello, mate, yes, I did.

A short-shifter is fairly simple to fit and if you buy me a bottle of Gordon's finest... your short-shifter will be fitted no probs. :)

The Whiteline kit was sourced from some Aussie company. Delivery I think was via 3-day UPS. I'm not sure as to the exact details.

Please go to: whiteline.com.au for more info.

The kit in question is called: "The Works" kit for the JZA80 Supra. It retails at around $1,650 (that's Aussie dollars).

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Yours,

J  

Quote: from Ash on 6:14 pm on Sep. 4, 2001[br]

Hello, mate, yes, I did.

A short-shifter is fairly simple to fit and if you buy me a bottle of Gordon's finest... your short-shifter will be fitted no probs. :)

The Whiteline kit was sourced from some Aussie company. Delivery I think was via 3-day UPS. I'm not sure as to the exact details.

Please go to: whiteline.com.au for more info.

The kit in question is called: "The Works" kit for the JZA80 Supra. It retails at around $1,650 (that's Aussie dollars).

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Yours,

J  

And if you need someone local to make some enquiries for you, I can arrange that (Oz that is).

Quote: from Paul Booth on 10:24 pm on Sep. 4, 2001[br]

And if you need someone local to make some enquiries for you, I can arrange that (Oz that is).

Nice one, thanks for that.

Ash, shall I have Justin deliver the short-shift to you, then get in touch once you have it to arrange??

RE Whiteline suspension:

Does anyone know if there is a reseller in the UK, or am I going to have to order it direct from Australia?

Just under £600 quid, not bad for a complete kit is it?

Hmmmm, I'm just checking my credit card..... ;)

Mark......

Yes, I'll take it from Justin and get in touch. The Whiteline kit will be subject to import duty and VAT. Which adds about 25% to the price. Then there is delivery. I think Richard J said it was sent 3-day UPS. So that's going to add to the cost also.

But still, that's VERY good for a COMPLETE kit. What I like are the uprated anti-roll bars and front bushes. I've always said the MKIV needs uprated ARBs and the Whiteline ones are adjustable too. Plus, the whole thing is height adjustable, so you can play around to get just the right stance.

Yours,

J

Ash, how easy will it be to adjust the height?  Is it something I could do myself on the driveway or does it take an expert such as yourself?  Would I be able to change the ride as well as the height?

Also, if the height is adjusted does tracking/toe-in/camber need to be adjusted each time?

Sorry for so many questions!!!

TIA

You'd generally not want to be chopping and changing the ride height. The advantage of it being adjustable is that you can set it just perfect and then have the geometry setup accordingly. Yes, if you alter the ride-height you do alter the suspension geometry. As far as I am aware, the Whiteline shock absorbers are adjustable as well. So too are the anti-roll bars.

The height is adjustable by use of a C spanner, so Rich tells me. Sounds pretty straightforward for yourself to do. Perhaps the best would be to try various settings until you get the car looking exactly how you want it, then get the geometry set.

Yours,

J

I got mine from http://www.whiteline.com.au/store/

it's currently

AU$1,973.64 by Post

AU$2,195.64 by Courier (I got mine DHL)

At todays exchanges rates that's

705.393 GBP or 784.737 GBP

+10% Duty

+17.5% VAT

911-1014 GBP depending on the carrage you decide on, that said I didn't get charged enough Duty/VAT if I remember correctly (not that I'm complaining), or maybe it was a better exchange rate.

Quote: from Ash on 3:57 pm on Sep. 5, 2001[br]

Absolutely no idea. Perhaps you could please ask Rich for me and let me know how long his took.

I got mine put on but it took quite a while because one of the rear camber adjuster bolts(?) had been cross threaded and the guy had to wait for one so he did the rest in between jobs while waiting for it. Also the front lower bushes are a pain as they need to be pressed in (and I presume therefore the suspension parts need to be taken of the car), they are worth having done as steering feel is vastly improved.

Springs, Shocks, Anti-Roll bars, front droplinks, front lower bushes are all you change though.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/yourcar.htm has docs on all the kits they do.

(Edited by HardHead42 at 6:26 pm on Sep. 5, 2001)

Thanks Rich, *much* obliged for the info.

Seems like it will probably take a couple of days to fit the first one. I have a 10-ton press which should be sufficient, but I'll no-doubt have to make up some adaptors to suit - which I guess will take the best part of half a day. Once tooled up it should only take me a day I reckon.    

Yours,

J

Guest Terry S

I have they Whiteline ARB's & Bushes sitting in my garage waiting to go on if anyone wants a look? I am undecided on springs & shocks as the ones Rich hard are adjustable but only off the car ( shocks I mean) correct me if I am wrong here Rich?

Ash, just to keep you posted ('scuse the pun!), I have received an email from Whiteline and the total cost including shipping (by courier, around 5 business days) is £780.56.

I am probably going to order it on Monday, but I have a bit of a problem in that I am staying in a guest house near East Grinstead at the moment and I can't really have a complete suspension kit delivered there or to my work place!

Sorry if its a bit cheeky to ask this, but I wonder whether I could have it delivered to your place?  Tell me if this is taking the p*ss, I would understand if so...

Cheers,

Mark.

Quote: from Terry Saunders on 2:13 pm on Sep. 6, 2001[br]I have they Whiteline ARB's & Bushes sitting in my garage waiting to go on if anyone wants a look?

Those anti roll bars are meaty, arn't they, about same diameter as the standard but the standards are hollow and weigh nothing.

I am undecided on springs & shocks as the ones Rich hard are adjustable but only off the car ( shocks I mean) correct me if I am wrong here Rich?

Yes they are Koni adjustables (not top adjustable unfortunately), you have to take them off as you have to fully compress (or extend can't remember) to adjust them, which you can't do when they are all bolted up in the car.