The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to fix OEM skirts to the sills?

Pete

I need some kind of double sided tape to keep the skirts on the sill so the door doesn't rub at all when closed. Ideally to protect the sills too as they've been all cleaned up and painted.

I'm thinking some kind of thin double sided spongy tape - but I don't know where I can get any before Friday.

Any ideas?

Ta,

Pete

We and most bodyshops use a special panel sealer for bonding side skirts on, failing to purchase that, you can use silicon based bonding agents that you can buy from homebase.

thats all very well but the good thing about the oem toyota skirts is that they can be fitted and removed very easily. if you use urethane based adhesive you've got very little chance of getting them back off in one piece

I'm gonna be bonding mine when i get some, + some Self Tappers! the only way

NNNooooooooo self tappers! Worst bloody bodge ever that really gets under my skin that does, and goes all rusty over time with big, ok small, holes in your metal, UGH!

Don't like 'em.

I looked for draft excluder stuff and that was all single sided sticky, not double - at B&Q and Homebase.

Depends on the quality of the job and screws you use!

I had a mkiv that someone had screwed the Bomex skirts into the sill. I bought some stainless screws for it and I still hated them everytime I saw them.

FFS, can't beleive self tappers have been mentioned!! The point of OEM skirts is that they can be easily removed, that means no bonding agent, no rivets, no screws, just use the same stuff Toyota use, double sided foam tape. The points at the wings just need the stock plastic clips, no screws required at all.

As LeeT says the tape is available at Halfords. I've used it on mine and its worked fine for the last year.