The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cam Belt Change...

nismo_lp

Guest shanksy5

Yeah, it's at least a couple of hours work. I've had quotes ranging from £38-£60 for the belt and anything from 2 - 4 hours of labour. What cost are Toyota quoting you per hour of labour?

I got a cambelt from toyota for about £28 inc vat, but they also quoted me about £300 + vat to change it, so I done it myself. :p

Also another local garage quoted about £200 + vat.

Its not too bad a job to do yourself. If you fancy having a go I could lend you the tools for removing the crank pulley. A manuals not that different from the auto apart from the cambelt tensioner I think.

See here

Bit scarey doing it myself, thanks for the offer tho... well thor said its 5 hours labour (£250 on its own). A local place i know said that toyota officially state that its a 2.5 hour job and if it takes them longer they will still only charge for 2.5 hours... they are basically saying £150 all in!

Marksupra your discussion is music to my ears.

I have a problem where a garage (Hyeline performance in Cardiff) failed to remove the pulley bolt and are now suggesting removing the gearbox to lock the flywheen in order for the 1000lb torque hammer to release it. Around £500 for 10 hrs labour. They didn't use a special tool!!!!:rolleyes:

I have a few mechanics in the family who are suggesting they remove it and we were going to make a tool but noted the crank pulley depressed (c'mon cheer up!) so we are thinking about the options. :think:

IS there anything different I should be aware from your wonderfully detailed instructions as this is on a '99 japspec TT vvt-i tip? :conf:

I would love to borrow your tools Mark and will pm to discuss.:yes:

Cheers Guys

According to the service manual workshop manual:

The condition of camshaft drive belts should always be

checked on vehicles which have more than 50,000 miles. Although some

manufacturers do not recommend belt replacement at a specified

mileage, others require it at 60,000-100,000 miles.

Replace the timing belt every 72 months or 60,000 miles if

the vehicle is operated under Severe Service conditions such as

frequent idling or extensive long distance driving at low speeds.

It also says in the toyota manual to charge 1.8 - 2.3 hours for cambelt change

hope this helps

hope this helps

Thanks.... my man also said its worth doing every 10 years as well! Ferraris need changing every 3 years even if it hasnt moved!

hope this helps

So, if mine was done at 62k and I'm now on 86k I won't be needing a change any time soon.

Marksupra your discussion is music to my ears.

I have a problem where a garage (Hyeline performance in Cardiff) failed to remove the pulley bolt and are now suggesting removing the gearbox to lock the flywheen in order for the 1000lb torque hammer to release it. Around £500 for 10 hrs labour. They didn't use a special tool!!!!:rolleyes:

I have a few mechanics in the family who are suggesting they remove it and we were going to make a tool but noted the crank pulley depressed (c'mon cheer up!) so we are thinking about the options. :think:

IS there anything different I should be aware from your wonderfully detailed instructions as this is on a '99 japspec TT vvt-i tip? :conf:

I would love to borrow your tools Mark and will pm to discuss.:yes:

Cheers Guys

Sounds like too much hard work doing all that, I had a real problem removing the crank bolt until I made the tools, then it was a piece of p**s, couple of minutes and it was off.

Only problem I can see with locking the flywheel is you may damage something else doing so, and definately DO NOT HEAT the crank bolt as this could damage the pulley and the front crankshaft oil seal.

No idea how much different the vvti is to the 2JZ-GTE engine, I'm sure there are other members on here that would know. If the crank pulley is the same design as a 93 then it should fit and I would be more than happy to lend them to you.

I spent about 10 hours doing mine, but then I did make everything nice and shiny and nickel plated all the pulleys i could get off. ;) and taking pics and writing it everything down and :blahblah:

So, if mine was done at 62k and I'm now on 86k I won't be needing a change any time soon.

that all depends on how long ago it was done? as the belt deteriorates over time as well as mileage. personally i would do mine every 3 years or so regardless of mileage as i only do around 4>5k miles a year max

i borrowed Marks tools and done it in around two hours a couple of weekends ago and that included painting up my lower cam belt covers. 5 hours labour is just ridiculous IMO

Couple of hours - flash g*t. :p :tongue:

5 hours does seem a bit much for a straight forward swap, I know I took longer but I did'nt know what I was doing, just followed the manual.:D