The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dashboard squeak

Ian C

• 4 weeks later...

Me too.

I put mine down to the fact that everyone and their grandmother has been inside my dashboard since it arrived from Japan (KPH-MPH conversion, Insurance company approved alarm/immobiliser, mobile phone kit, new Mini-disk/CD pack, etc.).

I noticed that each butcher (sorry, that should read auto-electrician) left different parts out on re-fitting the dashbord. I've just about discovered and replaced all the screws, nuts and bolts but I still have the blasted squeek after the roof has been off.

Once it's had the roof back on for a while it settles down.

I've almost given up.

My squeak turned out to be the dial module.  I took off the dash, and wedged a lump of blutack between housing and dial module.  Squeak fixed.  Hurrah.

BTW, how the hell do you take the dial module fascia out?  I can't get it past the steering wheel!  It's the facelift model, if that makes any difference...

Not familiar with the facelift, sorry, but on mine I drop my tilt-steering and wiggle (the bits, not me).

My squeak is coming from somewhere around the dashboard-windscreen interface so I'm becoming more and more certain it's just mileage over not-so-smooth roads with the roof off having weakened the structure (aging of the joints effects us all).

• 2 years later...

I noticed that the aqueaking stopped when I pushed the space either side of the dials pretty hard, or pushed up against the inside of the dial shade.

I thought it might have been the joint contact point between the fascia and the brideg containing mileage info and warning lights that goes over the dash,mainly cos it stops when the car interior has warmed, so the plastic expands back against the dial fascia.

I took the bride section off (I'm sure this has a proper name, not sure what it is though), super glued a thin section of fabric right along the joint line, replaced it and guess what... Hey presto,no more mice behind the dash.

I tend to get this as well. Really annoying sound, like styrofoam squeeking or something. Happens once every few weeks and stops as soon as everything is warmed up.

The squeek seems to come from the center of the dash, right up near the windscreen. Fck knows what it is.