The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Should Black Paint 202 have metallic??

Stevie Boy

Random question here guys, should Toyota paint code black 202 be metallic??

I've done a search and only found info stating 202 is black.

I'm pretty sure my car looks flat/solid black, i'm sure it hasn't had a complete reapray in it's past and other black Supras i've seen don't seem to look metallic either, however i've had my front bumper painted twice, 1st when i got the car 2nd time was for all the stone chips i've accumilated over last 2years.

Anyway when i first had it painted i noticed in bright sunlight there was metallic specs in the paint reflecting, i thought the lazy sods in the paintshop hadn't cleaned out the gun properly or summink.

Just got my bumper back from a different paintshop and tbh it looks even more metallic than the last paint job, it's the right shade of black just where it catches light it definately has a metallic fleck to it.

Can the original car paintwork lose its metallicness over its 10years in the sun?? Bodyshop guy was adamant thats the mix 202 comes up with.

I did think as it's called Astral Black could metallic be the "Astral" tinge on just Jet/Ebony black?

Anyone shed any "ahem" light on this please????

Hmmm, i totally agree with you mate as i've never noticed metallic in a black Supra before. But i can't imagine 2 paintshops getting it wrong that's why i was hoping someone might be aware that perhaps a miroscopic amount goes into the mix but still appears as a flat black colour??

I'm gonna have to go out for another look at it again now!!!:complain:

Random question here guys, should Toyota paint code black 202 be metallic??

I've done a search and only found info stating 202 is black.

I'm pretty sure my car looks flat/solid black, i'm sure it hasn't had a complete reapray in it's past and other black Supras i've seen don't seem to look metallic either, however i've had my front bumper painted twice, 1st when i got the car 2nd time was for all the stone chips i've accumilated over last 2years.

Anyway when i first had it painted i noticed in bright sunlight there was metallic specs in the paint reflecting, i thought the lazy sods in the paintshop hadn't cleaned out the gun properly or summink.

Just got my bumper back from a different paintshop and tbh it looks even more metallic than the last paint job, it's the right shade of black just where it catches light it definately has a metallic fleck to it.

Can the original car paintwork lose its metallicness over its 10years in the sun?? Bodyshop guy was adamant thats the mix 202 comes up with.

I did think as it's called Astral Black could metallic be the "Astral" tinge on just Jet/Ebony black?

Anyone shed any "ahem" light on this please????

that was a big thread for a small quetion lol

that was a big thread for a small quetion lol

Big thread for small question but i'm now debating taking bumper back to paintshop, it's definately not totally flat black whereas the rest of my car is.

I just wondered if 10year old paint might look different, my neighbour has a brand new black Corolla, wonder what that looks like under the microcope:(

Might this color chart help out ?

http://www.scionlife.com/toyota/#SU

Black Onyx (202)

Interesting link mate that thread refers to it as Black Onyx (202)

Wheres Astral Black come from then? thats what i was once told it was called. Theres a Toyota Matallic Black code (204) listed but not for the Supra, the guy took my chassis n frame numbers to confirm with Toyota apparently.

I give up!:(

I just wondered if 10year old paint might look different, my neighbour has a brand new black Corolla, wonder what that looks like under the microcope:(

OK not 10yrs but, 7yr old paint with lots of stone chips (taken in Aug 2002).

Still flat

Aug 2002 7yr.JPG

Forgot about this thread guys, should have updated to say i took bumper back to bodyshop and they agreed a F**k up on their part and rubbed down and repainted in proper Supra Mr T (202) black within a few days.

Now lookin the business, black as black 202 should be with no metallic flecks whatsoever, paint finish looks a better than the 1st attempt too.

Bloke said bring back when fitted to car for mopping but it looks flawless anyway.

He tried to "blame it on the boy" that got the paint code and frame no off car wrong, but it was the other senior numpty in the office that took the details.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, can't belive I made such a polava over an obvious bodyshop balls-up.

:thumbs: