The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Adjustable suspension height

psymon

Guys

This is for all that have ride height adjustment. How have you got it ?

Have you got the car slightly lower at the front than the rear.

or

Have you got it so both fornt and rear are the same.

Just wondering as my old setup was slightly higher at the back than the front.

Thoughts please

Ta

ride height and suspension settings are something you have to experiment with.... there is no real definitive settings for a precise desired effect outcome. Its all a compromise from one disired characteristic to another.

Increase the cars perfomance in one particular area and you may end up reducing it in another and vice versa.

Sorry I can't be more specific but race teams require practice sessions with highly trained race engineers to get a car that performs well in all areas on track.

The general way to sort suspension is to start off with the softer settings and then gradually work towards a stiffer setting. As for front/rear ride height difference... it will depend on how you want the aerodynamics to work. Too high at the front in comparison to the rear will most likely produce front end lift at high speeds. But to know what is really happening you will need wind tunnel experiments.

Not to mention how changing the aspect of the car affects weight distribution.

This then alters how the front of the vehicle turns in and can make a mess of how well the rear of the car follows the front under braking if you take too much weight off the rear.

Mine is set up very low with a slight nose down stance, seems set up very well since I got it so I've not fiddled with it. Have contemplated raising it by 1cm all round but I've kinda got used to it at the moment (just no crazy speeds down unkown B roads at the moment for fear of loosing the front!). Does the stock setup have a slight nose down stance or is it level?

Mine is set slightly lower at the front, having a little more spring travel at the back will help with traction when accelarating hard ie. the back will squat slightly under acceleration. If you lower the rear too much, you'll not have enough spring movement and so will just spin up the wheels easily or worse you'll get the back end hoping.