The mkiv Supra Owners Club

knocking noise

grimreaper

Its not a bearing or something simple like that is it. Check your tyres for lumps aswell as i had a bad knocking noise coming from the rear of the motor. Thought it was a bearing but got a blow out on the motorway and it turned out to be a de formed tyre.

Welome to the bbs

Several things to check

Sub frame mounting bolts, often a neglected service item, deep sockets require and a good torque wrench. Settings are quite high.

Some times front wishbone has been done up under no load. They should be done with full car weight. ie lower car hub on to blocks to simulate normal height and full load, A failing shock can cause this too. Not necessarily wet either. I found one with no leakage signs but had 10mm of undamped travel when off the car.

Guest N.KREFT

I had this on the test drive on my n/a auto, the dealer replaced both front shocks, this was 2.5 years ago been fine since. :) :)

A local garage changed the front shocks on mine, the noise is still there, they said they can't find for the life of them what it is,

I would not go back there I was you, they change shocks that were OK, they obviously dont know what they are doing. How much are you willing to spend by letting them change parts by trial and error.

Check with search for knocking, there have been many threads about this subject almost all with a satisfactory conclusion.

The engine mounts. i got the same porblem, starting to leak, they'll knock ever so slightly but noticable.

Can't be arsed replacing mine, i i'll jack the engine up and drill a hole the the mountings and fil them with windscreen sealant! What a BODGE! ha ha