The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tracker systems

SimonB

I'm thinking about getting a tracker. I've never bothered before because I figured if the car got stolen the insurance covered it and I'd just buy another. But the more work I do on it the more I think how gutting it would be to have to do all that again. Plus it'd be pretty hard to find another 97 RZ!

Anyway, anyone got any recommendations? I like the Tracker systems because they don't rely on just GPS which seems too easy to block by loading the car into a transporter or whatever. They're got various different ones though, Monitor, Echo etc.

as for blocking in a container, they can still track it to its last postion unless they do a knightrider and drive into the back of the truck

i think trackers are a good thing imo, but even the best tracker and cat 1 if a thief wants your car they are going to steal your car end off

as for blocking in a container, they can still track it to its last postion unless they do a knightrider and drive into the back of the truck

Yeah, but by the time they've checked with you that it's been stolen and started tracking it it could well be in a transporter, or parked in a garage. Tracker do one called Echo and one called Response that both look the same to me except Echo is bit more expensive. Anyone know the difference?

I have the Tracker Monitor,

when I sent the car to Dude's 18 months ago on a flatbed when the Turbo failed, it had only gone 200-300 yards down the road when I got a phone call from Tracker to say that my car was moving & was this authorised.

I was very Impressed.

incase they have not done this would it not be a good idea to have a tracker alarm built in, so when you disarm and open the door the tracker switches off, so resulting in a better response from tracker rather than a phone call, and a numeric code like pugeot had, incase of car jacking obviously like mentioned above on a flatbed there are some circumstances that this would be flawed

I think the Echo and Response ones from Tracker have a key card that you have to carry seperate from the keys. If the car moves without it they get alerted. I guess they still have to phone you up to check you haven't just left it at home though.

The cheapest tracker option means you have to inform them if the car is stolen they then track it, the next one alerts tracker hq itself if vehicle is moved and echo can monitor it even if it is in a container i believe.If the car is stolen with keys you have to realise and let them know, otherwise everytime you drove it they would be ringing you up. You can pay a yearly subscription of about 100 per year or pay 3-400 for life subscription.Middle one with life subscription is about £1000