The mkiv Supra Owners Club

660 meg avi file to DVD??

Chris Wilson

It frequently bombs out in my experience or puts the sound out of sync etc.
Works great here :shrug:

Chris,

Whatever you want to re-encode will take bleeding ages. 90mins of video at say 25 frames/sec is a lot of frame converting. On my (not state of the art, admittedly) XP2500+ with 1gb of ram it takes about 90min to convert 90mins of avi to DVD format. I usually kick it off before going to bed and leave it running overnight.

Works great here :shrug:

I tried to do Lost season two episodes on Nero 7 and 6. Every time the bleedin' thing kind of jumps, then puts voices out of sync. That's in both NTSC and PAL conversions. :mad:

cucusoft just works everytime and has a special sync capability too.

Dump Windows, install Linux and use ffmpeg and dvdauthor!

Seriously though, check this out, I've used it befoere for encoding the MPEG stream with very good resaults - you still need to convert to DVD VOB form, Nero (as mentioned before) will do this for you - I found the output quality better if I use TMPGEnc to generate the source MPEG file first.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Tmpenc is really good but not very user-friendly. You need to know a fair bit about video encoding to get it working how you want.

Linux? Pffft!

Linux will never take off as long as the user base continue to be so up their own arses.

Got a Linux problem? Need help?

"RTFM."

Oh you read the manual but still need help?

"Go read the manual some more, it's all in there"

Yeah great, cheers

Dump Windows, install Linux and use ffmpeg and dvdauthor!

Seriously though, check this out, I've used it befoere for encoding the MPEG stream with very good resaults - you still need to convert to DVD VOB form, Nero (as mentioned before) will do this for you - I found the output quality better if I use TMPGEnc to generate the source MPEG file first.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

This is quite good for producing the DDV files, you still need something like Nero to do the final burn though:

http://www.digital-digest.com/software/download.php?sid=424&ssid=0&did=1

LMFAO Jake - yeah it is a bit like that.

I guess it's because it is free and there's no commercial backing to most of the software. Suppose the person who wrote the software in their spare time just can't be bothered to answer all those support questions. Still I use it and find it very good. :D

AVI to DVD worked, but it took over 9 hours.... That can't be right, surely? PC is probably laughable to you guys that update on a monthly basis, it's got 1 gid ram and I can't remeber what processor, System says AMD Athlon 1900+ so I gues that's what I've got? Is that not up to the job? I'll try Petes app (thanks Pete, seems to have installed fine), and see if that's any quicker. Thanks for the help and links.

Chris, 9 hours does sound a little excessive. However, I've not actually used AVI to DVD, I use Nero Express instead.

With that I know it can take up to a couple of hours with a processor that's roughly twice as fast as a 1900+. Video compression is extremely processor intensive. I too usually leave stuff like that running over night :)