The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How good is the supras braking ability

Suprasteve

Let take the Jap spec brakes out of the equation for now and concentrate on the stock larger UK spec.

How do they compare to say a Mitzo Evo6+ with their 4 pot Bremos ?

What are the make of the supras brakes or are they just "toyota" ?

The reason i ask is that lots of people go on about comparing the heavier 2 wheel drive supra v's the lighter rally bred 4x4s (i.e. Scoobys, Evos, cossies etc) with regard to handling but nobody ever mentions the braking !?

Surely this is as important is not more important than handling, surely if a car has good reliable brakes then you'll be able to leave it later going into a sharp bend before lifting off the accelerator ???

I don't want this turning into a "supras are better than Scoobys because they look like tractors" load of bollox. I'm just curious if anyone has compared the 2 and how good is the stock UK spec in comparison ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you can lock the wheels up in either car, they are both outbraking their grip levels. This factors in vehicle weight, contact patch, make and condition of tyres, suspension setup, and road surface.

The actual brake setup differences only really comes into play with repeated hard stops. Then fade or glazing occurs. The pad material is also a factor in this as well. On top of this you have pedal feel, which is rather hard to measure so really it's a difficult question to answer.

-Ian

Pretty sure there is an old magazine road test (that featured the supra, a 911, Lotus of some sort and a couple of other cars) where the supra faired well, think all the other cars were rwd, no 4wd stuff.

Obviously tyres play a massive part in braking, but i presume you mean 'assuming all other things being equal'.................

Well, if you can lock the wheels up in either car, they are both outbraking their grip levels. This factors in vehicle weight, contact patch, make and condition of tyres, suspension setup, and road surface.

The actual brake setup differences only really comes into play with repeated hard stops. Then fade or glazing occurs. The pad material is also a factor in this as well. On top of this you have pedal feel, which is rather hard to measure so really it's a difficult question to answer.

-Ian

fair enough.

Last year at Bovington air strip (TerribleTurners event) I had CW racing pads on UK spec brakes, i could only manage 5 in a row drag races where i had to stamp on the brakes at 90 mph cos they went spongy and the discs started glowing and smoking.

If i wanted to do a few track days do you think I would need to upgrade my disks ? or do you think they'll cope for a good few laps of abuse ?

Guest Flat4_ire
With CW pads I have yet to experience brake fade...however my front discs have warped for the second time in 5 months...which is very strange..

u must be too rough on them dude

Well, if you can find many cars that can outbrake a Supra I'll give you a medal. 112 ft from 60-0 is pretty damn impressive.

The US car mag that tested (Motortrend) didnt find anything until they came across the Porche Carerra GT with its ceramic brake setup that beat that figure. So.. that good enough for you?

Guest Flat4_ire
Well, if you can find many cars that can outbrake a Supra I'll give you a medal. 112 ft from 60-0 is pretty damn impressive.

The US car mag that tested (Motortrend) didnt find anything until they came across the Porche Carerra GT with its ceramic brake setup that beat that figure. So.. that good enough for you?

find many cars? lol theres fucckin loaads man! my old integra type r breaked a lot faster, my scooby definitely did, and im convinced that my 1992 prelude honda does too!lol, the brakes arent bad but its a heavy old bus to stop, i have not driven any porkers or fezzas so i cant comment on them, but i do think the standard brakes cope well with 300bhp, anyone running bpu upwards shud deffo look at upgrades

With CW pads I have yet to experience brake fade...however my front discs have warped for the second time in 5 months...which is very strange..

sounds to me when you are at junctions you sit with the breaks on. This can cause warping, as the rest of the disc has air to allow it to cool quicker, whilst where the pads are in contact heat stays....i.e slowly warping the disc.

The handbrake should always be used when stationary...i learnt this on my old car...3 disc sets later ::(

Guest Flat4_ire
I want fact not your opinon.

dont get snotty with me man ok? facts are on paper, im going on cars ive owned so i can tell from that what ive ..trial and error is the only way with cars, not listening to others spouting on about things they read in best car magazine

fair enough.

Last year at Bovington air strip (TerribleTurners event) I had CW racing pads on UK spec brakes, i could only manage 5 in a row drag races where i had to stamp on the brakes at 90 mph cos they went spongy and the discs started glowing and smoking.

If i wanted to do a few track days do you think I would need to upgrade my disks ? or do you think they'll cope for a good few laps of abuse ?

What 'Fluid' did you have? If you have a spongey pedal then it may not be a pad to disk friction issue but a fluid one?

Not really mate, mine eats UK spec discs for breakfast, then it will eat another set for dinner.....

One high speed stop from over a ton, and they be shagged.................and I mean high speed stop, ie racing a bike and breaking for a roundabout..... :(

I seriosuly dont know how people are still alive on J-Spec's.........

Guest Flat4_ire
Well thats measured, and I'm just hearing from you what you think... seeing as you've barely owned a Supra for more than a month I'll stick to the proffessional review.

i only need to drive a supra for 5 mins to find out! and i had it for 3 months actually smart ass, and il have another soon enough, and ive owned god knows how many cars the past 2 years so im pretty confident in my judgement on these cars, handling, performance, braking wise that ok with you smart ass? or am i gonna have to come over there and slap the silly smirk off your face

sounds to me when you are at junctions you sit with the breaks on. This can cause warping, as the rest of the disc has air to allow it to cool quicker, whilst where the pads are in contact heat stays....i.e slowly warping the disc.

The handbrake should always be used when stationary...i learnt this on my old car...3 disc sets later ::(

Hear what you are saying...I do use the handbrake. this has kinda got both me and whifbitz puzzled.

i only need to drive a supra for 5 mins to find out! and i had it for 3 months actually smart ass, and il have another soon enough, and ive owned god knows how many cars the past 2 years so im pretty confident in my judgement on these cars, handling, performance, braking wise that ok with you smart ass? or am i gonna have to come over there and slap the silly smirk off your face

How am I a smart ass? I'm stating whats been documented/officially tested as fact, and you're expressing YOUR opinion, which I dont care to listen to or take as documented evidence. Dont get all butthurt because I dont agree with you and have documentation to prove it.

Threatening people again are you because someone disagrees with you? :rolleyes:

And there was me today saying how you seemed to have calmed down lately - silly me!

Guest Flat4_ire
How am I a smart ass? I'm stating whats been documented/officially tested as fact, and you're expressing YOUR opinion, which I dont care to listen to or take as documented evidence. Dont get all butthurt because I dont agree with you and have documentation to prove it.

Threatening people again are you because someone disagrees with you? :rolleyes:

no, u are gettin smart basically saying "how would flat4 know becuase hes oinly had a supra for a month" give me any car for 5 mins and i can tell u how well it handles and how well it brakes! doesnt take a fecking rocket scientist now does it? everyone on here says brakes are one of the most important upgrades u can do on the supra, even for bpu level! i bet the guys in the porsches and the likes dont get that advice on their forums because they dont need the upgrades, i love the supra and i dont think i could own anything else less powerful again but i do know its good and not so good points etc, and some of you people around here need to realise that, its unreal the amount of people on here that think the supra has everything perfected!!

Guest Flat4_ire
And there was me today saying how you seemed to have calmed down lately - silly me!

i was calm man, im cool, its all good, any news? :D

Guest Flat4_ire
When you start dismissing factual documented testing, I dont need to say anything about why Im not going to listen to you. I'm not being a fanboy for the sake of it I have better things to worry about.

i do my own testing baby :) ah no i hear what u are saying yeah, i just love a lot of different things about a lot of different cars, kinda get sick of hearing how great supras are sometimes!lol,trying to justify selling mine.. at least wait til i get another one :D