The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mine whistles when I open it up

Paul Booth

I noticed that mine whistles quite loudly when, I think, number 1 starts to spool and continues until I can't hear it any more 'cos of wind/road noise.

Is this normal, bearing in mind I'm going to be looking at why mine pulls like a train to 120 and then falls off to 125 max (no popping and stuttering of a limiter)?

the first turbo does whistle a lot, the only reason its noticeable is that it comes in so low down the power range that the engine noise doesnt drown it out.

Not sure why your car would run out of steam at 125mph though, at 120 most supras still pull like a train.

JB

Quote: from branners on 11:15 am on Aug. 8, 2001[br]Not sure why your car would run out of steam at 125mph though, at 120 most supras still pull like a train.

JB

I know, I effing know. I'm convinced it's to do with a 2nd rate delimiting job and it's why I intend to restore it to full j-spec and then re-convert it with a proper SLD.

*****Shop!*****

retail prices as per web site (ex vat free delivery). Mail [email protected] for further info...

ELE-4502-RT004-JZA80

Speed Limit Defencer JZA80

manual transmission only £95.00

ELE-4502-RT009-JZA80

auto transmission only £125.00

ELE-4502-RT007-JZA80

1997 onwards only £125.00

JB

Strange symptoms - mine pulls as hard at 125 as it does at 80. When Justin was following me in his EVO 5, it was only really at 135 that I really started to put any distance between us purely because the Supra continued accelerating at a ridiculous rate, whereas the EVO had started to run out of steam at that point.

Eric

I had a ride in an EVO VI last weekend at Boxhill.    Felt nice.   Power was ok but wouldn't have thought it would keep up with a Supra once you got past about 80mph.    I guess Justin has got his EVO 5 al tweaked up and running big boost.  

The EVO VI's forte is undoubetedly going round corners for sure.

Paul, when I get a little more time let me have the car for a few days and I'll investigate the problem. It's kinda weird, never heard of it before. Solving it I'm sure will be another chink in the workbench.

Yours,

J

I want to play too.

This car was actually imported by a dealer, for himself, and who had some work done (by blind electricians,  e.g. front spoiler fitted but ECU & switch removed)before selling it to JIC, who then did their own kph->mph conversions.

I've already tidied up most of the dashboard wiring and re-worked the fog light mod circuit.

I want to restore the limiting circuitry to original and then install an SLD properly. Once that is done and I feel confident I'm not fighting a botch-up, I'm more than happy to share the learning process. I was going to give the problem to Powerstation but hey, let's keep it in the family.

Hey Paul

I have a similar prob......ie mine stops at about the same speed, but very abruptly!!  I 2 have put it down 2 a pisspoor conversion as the car was fine for a while after I got it....

I've decided 2 go straight 4 a SLD ....... hopefully this'll fix it

I'd be interested 2 hear your findings........

For those who've seen their vehicle do over 120 I'm wondering how much effect the air temperature has on that. I know, from other posts on here, that ambient air temperature does have an effect, but 14%???

Those, like me, who've never seen 130 have probably got a different problem.

I've not yet seen a really good description which clearly explains what hitting the speed limiter looks like. I know what the old distributor based rev-limiters sounded like but these modern ECUs will have totally different characteristics. It would be useful to know when that's an part of the equation, possible even an electrical test to identify it.

I know some of the people on here know the answers to much of this and I'm hoping to start on mine armed with that knowledge, not have to re-learn it.

I spoke to Steve today at JIC. He's going to get back to me by Tuesday with a detailed list of what work was done on my car to convert it.

I'm then going to do it by the numbers, starting with a good quality SLD.

If it *still* does it, it's off to Ash's for a serious head scratch.