The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Home made air box - part 2

markssupra

After plenty of cutting and filing to size I finished the air box last week.

Now the supes running properly, the enclosed filter does seem to make a difference. I need to get some temperatures when the airbox is in and take it out to see any change in temps, hopefully should be lower with the new airbox.

This was a bit of trial and error getting it to fit, I need to remove it again it take a small amount off the bottom as its lifting the bonnet slightly, but apart from that it seems to be a good fit. :D

The white stuff all over it is a protective plastic cover that peels off.

Air Box 001.jpg

Air Box 002.jpg

Air Box 003.jpg

Air Box 004.jpg

Air Box 005.jpg

Air Box 006.jpg

Air Box 007.jpg

Air Box 008.jpg

Air Box 009.jpg

I like it, looks like it's just what is needed. So this varies quite a bit from the supraforums one? Do you have templates of the final design?

I notice that top air feed is quite purposeful - mine is missing, must get one asap!

Does it take air in from the standard scoop under the headlamp?

Thanks for the good comments guys, not done any sheet metal work for a long long time, so I was quite suprised with myself that it actually fitted.

Yes mate, it uses both the original intakes, although the one that comes from under the headlight was a PITA to cut a hole for without removing the headlight, so on this one the hole is a bit bigger for some extra movement.

I will tidy up the cardboard template, take some measurments from it and post it up on here.

Orders now being taken. :D

Yes mate, it uses both the original intakes, although the one that comes from under the headlight was a PITA to cut a hole for without removing the headlight, so on this one the hole is a bit bigger for some extra movement.
Could you fabricate these too making it a one piece bolt in job?

Could you fabricate these too making it a one piece bolt in job?

I made an extension piece for both of the intakes. The one under the headlight is a bit short to go directly into the box, so I bent a strip of ally to fit fairly tight around it to extend it. I'll take another pic of it to show you.

Well for custom jobs i charge £10 per hour i don't think that would take more than about 30 minutes.

What is the grey stuff around the top ?

The grey stuff around it is heat shrink edging, it also glues itself when you heat it.

Price sounds good, probably send it off to you soon.:thumbs: