The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HELP PLEASE - Failed MOT -Tester willing to be shown proof for emissions

Simon

My supe failed it's mot today - 1993 j-spec tt with no cats.

Failed on CO 0.6

I know that Chris Wilson published this link http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm but I can't see anything there that specifically mentions pre 1995 cars and the emission requirements and cat requirements. Perhaps I'm going blind.

Anyway, the tester will retest tomorrow if I can send him a link to vosa or dvla that shows that as it is a pre 95 import then it does not require cats and the emissions requiremnts are different than he tested for.

Can anyone please help a rapidly greying and frustrated supra owner.

post, pm, or email with links or otherwise, the tester will accept an email from me to any official documentation.

I'm currently out of the country so can't be at the testing station that's why the tester will accept an email tonight from me.

Many thanks.

afraid to say i dont think there is any info pointing to this, i had mine pass twice with no cats but the garage is computerised now, they put the engine number in and it says it needs the cats. tried another garage who did my mates evo 5 without cat and they said the supe does need it too.

But how does the UK database tie up with a vehicle that is an import, I know they have the details from the V5 etc but it wasn't sold in this country so therefore I thought it had different parameters applied.

Any car import or not after 1992 requires an emissions test afaik.

The pre 95 import myth is just that.

you say that mate, but mine (an NA) i asked the tester at my MOT 2 years ago and he went through a book of cars that needed Cat test.

So i give him chassis number and the number in the book didnt cover mine, so i didnt need a cat test. He said ring the DVLA for a definate answer as mine was 96, so he thought that was lucky. I was only a coupld hundread chasis numebrs below though :eyebrows:

If you do ring the DVLA, go through to right department or youll get no where

Any car import or not after 1992 requires an emissions test afaik.

The pre 95 import myth is just that.

you say that mate, but mine (an NA) i asked the tester at my MOT 2 years ago and he went through a book of cars that needed Cat test.

So i give him chassis number and the number in the book didnt cover mine, so i didnt need a cat test. He said ring the DVLA for a definate answer as mine was 96, so he thought that was lucky. I was only a couple hundread chasis numbers below though :eyebrows:

If you do ring the DVLA, go through to right department or youll get no where

i had my car moted last week without the cats its a pre 1995 model.

here's is what the mot tester should do. when the details of the vehicle are entered into the computer, it says MODEL type do not say its a 2JZGTE model but just type in default which is also available to do when the tester can no match the exact model of the car. it will then set the emissions on default which is a non cat test. (as long as its pre 1995)

Let me rephrase the question: On what specs should a 1993 j-spec tt be tested for emission.

Does it HAVE to have a CAT?

Is it on BET test standards.

Does anyone know please.

It's been a year since I've been able to drive it and I want to get it on the road again so much.

Guest supra rob

Any car that can be identified as august 1992 on wards import or not is by law to have a cat test, i have been mot testing for 2 years now and 2 months ago we went computerised and any mot garage that puts incorrect data on the system on purpose if caught will recieve points against there liscence :) you can ring any vosa helpline and they will tell you the exact same thing. A 1993 tt j-spec will have to have a cat test.

Yes but what is a 'cat' test for a 93 import, can't be the same as for a 96 UK car surely?

Is it a basic test or what, what flowchart is used to decide on the test to use. model and engine code both uk and j-spec are jza80 and 2jz-gte but the engines are different as we know.

Guest supra rob

sorry mate but any car reg august 1992 onwards requires a co% of under 0.30% thats 1992 up to 2003, i wud put one cat back in, it only takes 10 mins and saves ya hassel :cool:

OK I appreciate that but how can two engines with the same engine code but have different parts that could affect emissions be classed as the same engine, especially if one wasn't available over here. I accept that I will have to try and find a cat to put back in for the test, but I would still like to see the flowcharts and documentation.

Guest supra rob

Well basicly any make of engine that comes out out the factory is designed to run inconjuction with cats and any cat you will find is designed to bring emissions down to below 0.30% weather it be a 1992 engine or a 1996 they all need to read and do the same job.

Guest supra rob
For the technically minded, what affects the co figure, engine temp ? engine speed? mixture? what?

co can be affected by a number of things 1 if you got no cats you wud be very very lucky to get it through the emissions, to a faulty temp sender so it could be reading colder then wat it is there for puting for fuel in, a faulty lambda sensor can higher the emissions if its not switching properly and this is normally adjusted by the ecu the list could go on