The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual vs Auto

lightwave

I'm just gonna put it out there and hope for some constructive critique of the relative benefits of each transmission. :p

The reason for the question; I'm only 25, but I had an auto TT, and I really loved it. If I get myself another Supra, I'm wondering if I should stick with what I know and love or risk a change.

What do you all think of the auto TT and the manual TT? Bearing in mind I've never driven the manual... what are everyone's impressions of the two?

I'm just gonna put it out there and hope for some constructive critique of the relative benefits of each transmission. :p

The reason for the question; I'm only 25, but I had an auto TT, and I really loved it. If I get myself another Supra, I'm wondering if I should stick with what I know and love or risk a change.

What do you all think of the auto TT and the manual TT? Bearing in mind I've never driven the manual... what are everyone's impressions of the two?

i love my manual but never driven an auto.

just go and test drive a manual before you buy, simple.

just go to a dealer saying your thinking of changing to a manual and leave your car with them,

go for a blitz, come back, say 'im not sure'

drive home

Good suggestion, but I don't have a car right now.

No one else has said it yet so I might as well....

Tiptronic rules! :D

"yes but it's the same box as an auto"

"but you can change much faster and buttons are cool"

"you can change quicker in a manual"

"only if you're really fast, and I'd rather keep my hands on the wheel"

"but real men drive manual cars"

ad infinitum...

Guest chiefvinso
Another superb suggestion. I was really hoping for more than a crapload of much repeated one-liners from people, but there we go.

Not a dig at you Jake - you've provided more help than most. :)

Well considering you have enough posts to know the forum you just havent bothered to search have you! :p :D

I was really hoping for more than a crapload of much repeated one-liners from people, but there we go.

Yeah but the "manual vs auto?" question gets asked so often on here that most folks are bored to death of it. All you're likely to get is a bunch of twats saying 'only spastics and gays drive autos' etc etc :yawn:

I test drove both the manual an the auto before i bought a soop, an i prefered the auto, so thats what i bought. Its not spongy, an dont lack response, so you must have drove a shitter Mark. Like the guys say though, everyone's differant mate.

Ive converted my auto into a manual so can give a direct comparison. I loved the autobox like you and was never getting fed up with it. But i got to the stage with my set up where it was either a built autobox or a manual conversion. And as it happened i managed to source all the bits at rock bottom prices so the conversion cost about a third of the price of a built box. Now my car is running properly again i can tell you that i would never in this world ever swap back. Its true the manual box does make it alot more of a drivers car. It also seems/feels much much faster then it ever did with the auto. Also im now able to accelerate around bends and roundabouts with much more confidence as the car is a lot more predictable. I also agree with a lot of others the box does feel a little agricultural but you soon get used to it(i hope). Im sure someone on here would let you have a go in there manual supe???? if not, the miserable bastards:d, you are quite welcome to try mine out

I can help you make your mind up........

You love the physical act of changing gears, but then again you may like the idea of less clutchery and wrist wrangling in traffic or cruising along....

Then again you may like both, at the same time....

Auto = good choice

Manual = good choice

If in doubt, TIPTRONIC.

Or any of the above.

Hope this helps...