The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10 year import rule

Chiefgroover

10. How much will a Model report cost if you buy your own report?

An emission test and report costs about £1000 (if it passes first time), a noise test and report costs about £600 (if it passes first time) and a comparison test and report costs about £750. If you want to go really overboard, a crash test and report costs about £11,120 (plus the vehicle)

A model report is needed for anything manufactured after 31 Dec. 97. So you'll no longer get the opportunity to import 1998-2002 Supras :( as there's no report available - nor is one likely to be available, due to the emissions. Same with R34 Skylines and any post 1997 RX-7s... I did make an attempt to volunteer my car to be used for producing a model report (as I was told you can do this for free), but was told by the company I contacted that they'd already made attempts to get one of Newera's Supras through the emissions testing, but failed miserably, so there was no point. The car they used (a 1998 VVTi TT) had already been imported prior to April 2004 (which if I remember correctly is when the regulations changed) so it was still able to be sold...

However, if you've got any mates who live in Europe, you can import via this route I believe. The car can be imported into Europe, get them to register/store the car for you for at least six months, then import it to the UK. This way it doesn't need a model report - which proves what a load of bs it really is!!

There maybe someone who can clarify whether what I've said is correct, I'd certainly like to know for certain myself...

I can't believe getting the Supra's emission values adapted to the regs can't be done. I mean there are even some guys in Germany (two that I know of) that modified a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR to pass Euro 2 emissions (Euro 2 is the emission regulation cars need to pass built after January 1997 up to December 1999). It was a pain in the ass nevertheless, retrofitting it with 3 new cats and fitting a new ECU, but it was done! Costs were around 6500 Pounds because of the trial and error runs on the emission-dyno (each run ~650 Pounds). There must be a way to adapt Supras, someone's gotta try it!

/e The route via registering an import in mainland europa won't work, as the regulations are as tough as in the UK in almost every EU-Country!

A model report is needed for anything manufactured after 31 Dec. 97. So you'll no longer get the opportunity to import 1998-2002 Supras :( as there's no report available - nor is one likely to be available, due to the emissions. Same with R34 Skylines and any post 1997 RX-7s... I did make an attempt to volunteer my car to be used for producing a model report (as I was told you can do this for free), but was told by the company I contacted that they'd already made attempts to get one of Newera's Supras through the emissions testing, but failed miserably, so there was no point. The car they used (a 1998 VVTi TT) had already been imported prior to April 2004 (which if I remember correctly is when the regulations changed) so it was still able to be sold...

However, if you've got any mates who live in Europe, you can import via this route I believe. The car can be imported into Europe, get them to register/store the car for you for at least six months, then import it to the UK. This way it doesn't need a model report - which proves what a load of bs it really is!!

There maybe someone who can clarify whether what I've said is correct, I'd certainly like to know for certain myself...

Jurgen you have to find out if this is true and if it is get some European mates!!! :thumbs:

Guest Flat4_ire
im in ireland if i left a jap import in england for a few months and then brought it over to ireland on ehglish plates would i have to pay the vrt on the car.

ud need to have a permanent address over there man

1.any month 97 year car needs model report to pass the esva and has to be standard.

2.any car that need sva so far is june 96 plus cars need to be standard ie not modded to pass the test.

3.any cars made pre june 96 only need mot to register in uk.

4. in 2007 u only need mot to register car if its a jan 1997 prodcution.