The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who's interested in the possibility of cheaper insurance?

Matt Harwood

My insurance is up for renewal. I thought I'd attempt to get a deal on behalf of mkivsupra.net.

I'll be in contact with Dorset Insurance Group. (Thanks for the link Thunder). They do a very comprehensive cover for the MR2 owners club.

Also, how many people are interested... I would have thought almost everyone if the quotes aer cheaper. - Strange question :looney:

How many people have their insurance renewal coming up in the near future?

ps. Don't get excited, it may come to nothing...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'll basically outline the differences in models, (UK, aero, GZ, RZ, and SZ), and go with the common modifications including Wheels, Bodykits, Exhaust, induction kits, Traction control, boost controllers, fmic etc.

I didn't want to start talking about hybrids, or big singles, big twins etc. Although it might be worth mentioning now than at a later date, I just didn't want to start frightning them yet! (How many people would actually declare hybrids?)

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

Also, they asked how many people are interested... I would have thought almost everyone if the quotes aer cheaper. - Strange question :looney:

How many people have their insurance renewal coming up in the near future?

Surprisingly, i'd be interested in cheaper insurance :looney:

I remember someone mentioning the deal the MR2 club have a while back, sounds like a superb idea. Hope it works out...

Mine isnt due for renewal until July BTW.

Tom.

Guest Terry S

Matt I sent them an e-mail about 3 weeks ago to try & sort out a Supra group one just like the MR2 one, but no reply. The one they offer for the MR2 guys is absolutely superb.

If you pull this off you are "the man" in my eyes, as an MR2 owner who has been with Dorset for years now (car and home insurance) I can only find good things to say about them. Their level of service is truly amazing compared to other insurers and the prices are very competitive.

For me the biggest selling points have to be the free trackday cover and the way they handle modifications, no extra charges for any of my MR2 modifications, if I buy something new they just add it to the list, no problems. Those MR2 owners who have had the need to claim through them have always been very positive about the way things have been handled, no haggling over values at all, you get the payout you want on the agreed value.

One of the things that has worried me about going for a Supra has been the insurance, hence one of the big reasons I've been swayed to UK spec but then I've had the concern that I wouldn't be able to leave it alone for long and once the mods come along that company that was cheap for a standard car suddenly becomes unreasonable - if you get Dorset onboard it's a major gain for the club. The MR2 Drivers Club is dire, truly horrible but it attracts 4000 members a year (at £30 a pop) and I'm pretty sure most of these join so they can use Dorset, this is certainly the case for me!

Good luck, I guess I'm subscribed to this thread now so I'll be able to follow your progress.

Originally posted by Martin F

Can you enlighten us Terry ?

What do they offer to the MR2 peeps generally ?

Have a look at this for more info on the MR2 scheme.

Ooo I'm all excited at the prospect of being able to stay with Dorset when I get the Supra - they are great!

Another example of how good they are - my girlfriend wanted to buy her first car, at 19 and with no NCB the quotes were scary - Ford Ka insurance at £1200 isn't what I call sensible, I called Dorset to get her a quote and on the basis that *I* already had a policy with them they agreed to cover her for £630 and give her 2 years NCB discount! They are pretty good for insuring second cars and as I've already said I have my home insurance with them through the MR2 club scheme, again very cheap.

Lets hope it happens

I didn't want to start talking about hybrids, or big singles, big twins etc. Although it might be worth mentioning now than at a later date, I just didn't want to start frightning them yet! (How many people would actually declare hybrids?)

No extra charge for the MR2 people that have gone for a hybrid so you might as well tell them, afterall you'd want a new pair if the worst happened :)

Update - I've spoken to a nice lady about the above so far. The do a deal for the MR2 owners, Lexus owners, GT4 owners and are in the process of setting up something for Yaris owners!!!

I've now been asked to provide the following in writing;-

Number of members

Common modifications

Vehicle variants

Average owner age

Website info

I could really do with some help on this now.

JB, Are you happy for me to continue this or would you like to take over... Suggestions on the website thing.?

Also, what about Andy Stallwoods site? - A Supra deal may work out better if all the variants were to be included...

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by mcanny

Have a look at [

Ooo I'm all excited at the prospect of being able to stay with Dorset when I get the Supra - they are great!

Mc you couldn't drop them a line explaining just ths could you. Just a bit more ammo.

Matt you OK dealing with this?? Let me know if you want any help mate.

I'm happy to assist in any way I can if this one goes ahead - if you check my website link you'll see I'm into getting cheap insurance so I'll do what it takes to keep my premiums low while allowing me to modify what I want without worrying about some fool phone monkey deciding that I can't :)

If you want me to contact them with my "I want to stay with Dorset but I want a Supra" story Mark please let me know, I trust it's Sarah you are dealing with at the moment?

Guest Terry S

Update - I've spoken to a nice lady about the above so far. The do a deal for the MR2 owners, Lexus owners, GT4 owners and are in the process of setting up something for Yaris owners!!!

I've now been asked to provide the following in writing;-

Number of members

Common modifications

Vehicle variants

Average owner age

Website info

I could really do with some help on this now. - I'm not over keen on posting this website address because of some of the stories in the "Spotted & Killed" section :eek:

JB, Are you happy for me to continue this or would you like to take over... Suggestions on the website thing.?

Also, what about Andy Stallwoods site? - A Supra deal may work out better if all the variants were to be included...

Right Matt you da man.

I think we need to discuss this with JB & get something official sent off to them.

Excellent idea Matt.

Obviously I am interested and my insurance is also due for renewal at the end of April.

I would much rather my money went to a company that supported us all as a group.

Also I am sure that with the soon-to-arrive subscription fee for this site that a lot more owners would be enticed to join.

More money for them, more money for us. Any more money for me????:p

Mine's up in may.

I hope Dorset are aware of the fact that a BOV does f***all to the performance etc.

Do they reduce the insurace cost of you stick on safety features like RLTC, UK brakes (or AP's etc)??

Wouldn't that be refreshing...bollox...I'm day dreaming again.