The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie - Bit of advice please

Guest jonesy

Guest jonesy

Hi there. My first post so before i begin, Hey there.

Looked through this forum the other day, theres a hell of a lot of lovely looking cars.

Which brings me to my next point.

Im looking to change my car in the next month/2 months or so, im 22 and have already been checking the insurance out on supras.

I just love the look of them and have been checking out some on ebay and autotrader to see whats available. A lot ive come across are the 3.0 twin turbo ones, so therefore i've done a few insurance quotes on those.

Im ok, and can get insured, considerably cheaper than what i thought, but i don't want to be stupid and get a car i cant afford to run/use.

so my questions are, what are the service costs and the like for running a supra, im gathering petrol would be quite high depending on how you drive it.

Any costs or issues info would gladly be apreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Running costs, depend on what you get:

NA average 20mpg and so do the TT's if you are steady away (apparently) however both drink like fishes under acceleration.

Tyres are always worth getting the best so they can cost.

Basically driving and owning a Supra becomes a hobby!

Supras are strong reliable cars, and in parts cost on average the same as any other jap car. Naturally turbos become an issue, when they are worn!

There is a ton of information on here, look around for any issues you are concerned with, and sure enough there is bound to be a thread about it somewhere on this site.

Any other questions just let us know, enjoy your stay......

Guest jonesy

thanks for the info. Is there any benifits between the RZ model or the normal model? Apologies for the lack of info.. as i don't know what im talking about..

I'll take a look through the forums properly and try and pick up some info, i'd never considered a supra really, assumed the insurance would be way ott, but pleasantly suprised today so..

thanks for the info. Is there any benifits between the RZ model or the normal model? Apologies for the lack of info.. as i don't know what im talking about..

I'll take a look through the forums properly and try and pick up some info, i'd never considered a supra really, assumed the insurance would be way ott, but pleasantly suprised today so..

A fellow midlander whereabouts are you ?

Guest jonesy
A fellow midlander whereabouts are you ?

by lichfield mate, how about yourself? cant be far according to your avatar?

hya mate ;)

first of all,.was it an online quote ?

if it was then double check,this is because many online quoting systems are`nt geared up for mk4 supras and often are giving quotes for mk3 supras- i was caught out that way on my quote ;)

all supras are 3.0litre, the only major difference is the age and some are twin turbo`s and some arent :)

mine isnt tho,yet the non turbos (NA model ) are fine on cost,they can be bought cheap,.are actualy quite economical ( i do 50 miles per week,5 days a week ) i never let my fuel tank drop low cos i dont want it sucking up crap,and it just costs me around £15.00 a week on fuel.

mine needs a service but dont trust anyone localy to do it,so im still looking, .and ive had mine 6 months.

touch wood,mine has NEVER let me down on anything,,. starts 100% instantly,. everything works and my car turns heads everywhere.

it will do roughly the same top speed as a twin turbo except it wont get there as quick :)

Supras are ace cars man ;)

Guest jonesy

yea i best double check the quote actually. i'll ring up on monday.

Ive got a 2.2 astra coupe at the moment, and was going to change to a few possible cars:

Astra coupe 2.0 turbo

Supra

golf r32(old model)

but really love the looks of the supra, was out the other day and one pulled up next to myself and a mate, and knew right then i'd have to get one in the near future!

honestly,youll laugh at this,. my only issue is parking on my left,.

ive been driving years and cant work out how to stay clear of the kerb. ,the cars so wide ? or i cant gauge the distance properly,. :(

i keep catching my tyres on the left and its doing my head in .thats my only grief.

Guest jonesy
honestly,youll laugh at this,. my only issue is parking on my left,.

ive been driving years and cant work out how to stay clear of the kerb. ,the cars so wide ? or i cant gauge the distance properly,. :(

i keep catching my tyres on the left and its doing my head in .thats my only grief.

yea, they look wide.. which is another thing i love the look of.. i was expecting to come on here and hear costs are massive, unreliable, expensive, dont get..

any you lot are convincing me more to get one ;)

Guest jonesy
Whereabouts. Im in Lichfield :)

im actually in b'wood mate, about 5 mins from lich, thing is, i havent seen many supras around here, theres 2 red ones fairly local, and i saw one black one in cannock

Hi

Some model info here :-

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

and

here

I think the larger brakes that you get with some models is an advantage, other than that there aren't any real worthwhile differences.

Most Jap Supra's had the smaller brakes but some had the larger ones (same as UK spec cars) . I'm sure the RZ's came with the larger ones as standard, others had them fitted as optional extra's or later on by the owner.

If I was looking into getting another Supra then condition, mileage , color , nice wheels etc would come first. :)

Hi and welcome :)

You're doing the right thing - research before you buy! This site has pretty much all the information you will ever need for supra ownership.

Is there any benifits between the RZ model or the normal model?

The RZ model is the base model for the early TT's. Take a look here for details of the differences: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

The NA's are ultra reliable, the TT's can have a few more issues, but provided you don't buy a lemon they're no more than other high performance cars. Personally I budget around £2-3k per year for running it, but then mine is modified. Also, if you are really after high performance and like modding for power then TT is the best route, you can get them to around 400bhp with only around £800 of parts (search here for 'BPU') :D

Next decision for you will be auto or manual ;)

Guest jonesy

erm, personal choice would be manual, although ive never driven an automatic, so don't know the pro's/con's for a high performance car. Thanks for all the info so far though, looking at it all now

I looked at the technical info bit done by Aerotop Dave and found everything I needed to know. I didn't know much at all at first but know I'm quite confident with the ol Supe. After my homework and bout 8 mnths hunting a picked up a mint black RZ Twin Turbo '94 and happy as a pig in shite with it. Very juicy but it's got better as it's no longer my 'new toy'.

Guest mk47

mine isnt tho,yet the non turbos (NA model ) are fine on cost,they can be bought cheap,.are actualy quite economical ( i do 50 miles per week,5 days a week ) i never let my fuel tank drop low cos i dont want it sucking up crap,and it just costs me around £15.00 a week on fuel.

hey mate sorry if i mis understood but you said you do 50 miles per week 5 days a week... did u mean 50 miles a day 5 days a week? if so.. then HOW do u manage to do 250 miles on £15 fuel!!!!!

hey mate sorry if i mis understood but you said you do 50 miles per week 5 days a week... did u mean 50 miles a day 5 days a week? if so.. then HOW do u manage to do 250 miles on £15 fuel!!!!!

def per week :)

not per day ,lol.

well ok, it works like this ,. some weeks i put say £15 ,. then others less, others more,it depends if ive been driving frisky ;) but on an average its £15 a week for around 40-50 miles a week.,

but it never drops to the last quarter of the gauge.

my insurance is £700 a year and i got 6 points and am 40 . just for the record.:) but i guess thats expensive ?