The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto

mattanna

My n/a auto is great and i have no problems with it, but for example if i slow down as if to free wheel(but not as am in gear) and then accelerate up a slope i get no kick down the car just moves in the same gear but does not pick up fast, on a flat straight road or down hill etc kick down is fine. I notice this because i exit off a round about which then goes up hill, i accelerated but got no kick down, do not notice it any othe time?, is this normal and could i have shifted it into second or 1st and accelerated, or slap it into manual? sounds complicated but can't explain it any other way. Also in manual mode do you actually move the lever betweeen 1, 2 and d to change gear and if so does the engage button have to be pressed?

Matt

Hi mate,

I would say yeah you could have dropped it down to 2nd or 1st but you have to press the engage button for 1st. When i'm running mine I usually just use the gear lever without manual mode, the only difference i can notice is o/d doesn't engage in manual mode. When i take mine out of Manual mode or click the o/d back on the revs sometimes jump up and the cars gets a second wind.

By the way have you checked that your throttle cable is tight and fully opening the butterfly?

Mike

Hi mate,

I would say yeah you could have dropped it down to 2nd or 1st but you have to press the engage button for 1st. When i'm running mine I usually just use the gear lever without manual mode, the only difference i can notice is o/d doesn't engage in manual mode. When i take mine out of Manual mode or click the o/d back on the revs sometimes jump up and the cars gets a second wind.

By the way have you checked that your throttle cable is tight and fully opening the butterfly?

Mike

the second wind you talk about is when you take the car out of 4th gear by switching off the overdrive,

My n/a auto is great and i have no problems with it, but for example if i slow down as if to free wheel(but not as am in gear) and then accelerate up a slope i get no kick down the car just moves in the same gear but does not pick up fast, on a flat straight road or down hill etc kick down is fine. I notice this because i exit off a round about which then goes up hill, i accelerated but got no kick down, do not notice it any othe time?, is this normal and could i have shifted it into second or 1st and accelerated, or slap it into manual? sounds complicated but can't explain it any other way. Also in manual mode do you actually move the lever betweeen 1, 2 and d to change gear and if so does the engage button have to be pressed?

Matt

mines is a tt and i get the same no kick down, the car will only kick down on really hard accelaration as if it kickdown on every exit or hill you would be in queer street, if the cars is not struggling then why kick down, if you want a kick down double pump the accelrator and floor it

using the gears manuall there wiull never be any kick down

the second wind you talk about is when you take the car out of 4th gear by switching off the overdrive,

Believe it or not it's actually doing it from 3rd to 4th, Boot it with o/d off in 3rd get to about 4k revs then click the o/d on and the revs jump to 4500 to 5k and it's like a second wind.

Cheers

Mike