The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help with auto controls

steve0

i know this will sound silly but how do you actually use the buttons the auto ive never had auto before and the guy i got the car from didnt really tell me much just want to know how you use the manual option and what the other buttons are for cheers

The lever acts as a limiter. If you select L, it'll stay in first. If you select 2, it won't go above second. D allows all four gears to be used. Overdrive switches fourth gear (overdrive) on or off.

MANU makes the car stay in whatever is selected, e.g. 1, 2, or 3 (L, 2, D). The exception here is that the car won't set off in 3rd - if you have MANU on whilst in D, the car will still use 2nd gear at very low speed.

Overdrive is automatically turned off in MANU mode, e.g. there is no fourth gear in MANU. If you're driving already, it won't actually change out of fourth gear though until you hit the gas.

Red button allows you to pull out of park with the key out, or something (I have a UK car which doesn't have this.)

Taking the above into consideration, you would use Overdrive switch and the lever itself to engine brake, and also whilst flooring it out of corners or sliding so that it won't drop to a higher gear if you lift off a bit.

I never use MANU but I use the limiter a bit.

and dont forget that if you use the japanese red button to change gear when in off and parked, the car will only start again when it is back in 'P'. I discovered this to my cost and thought my imobiliser was playing up. Nearly had to call someone out, then realised what I had done. What a silly billy:blush:

which button is it to switch to manual mode as there one under the gearstick button which clicks in and out and one at the side

The small button underneath the main lever button is overdrive, the button to the side is the manual. It should say MANU on it but may have got worn off.

this may sound silly but what the hecks overdrive

you have L 2 d so basicly 1 2 3, there is another button under neath the large button you press to take it out of park that engages 4th or o/d, when the button is depressed its on and when its not its off, in for on and out for off, again it appears in yellow on the bottom of the rev counter

Me too!

overdrive is forth, when you switch it off it drops to 3rd, do a test switch it off and it drops down you will find you will climb to the red line and it wont change to forth, to kickdown you just floor it or double pump the accelerator

I can't really try much!...I have a manual! :p

Just move it. The button is only there to make sure you don't knock it into into 1st or reverse. You have to actively want to do that. You see?

Anyone have any tips for cheering up the MANU button when it's depressed?

These AUTO box conversations always come up and really its not that difficult to work out.

ITs so so simple- Just work it out. Can't be that hard. I have never driven an Auto before the supra and I worked out the functions in 1 min.

MANU holds in gear. Overdrive off means no forth. Simple-

Come on guys :)

Rant over-