The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can anyone help ???

jusie

Hi Guys having a few probs basically i get to a junction and go to pull off the car is in drive but in stead of the car pulling off normally it revs up to over 4 thousand and does not go any where. It only pulls off when i let my foot off and try again. Also speedo started to go loopy this morning just flicking from 100 miles an hour to 40 to nothing whilst driving normally. Any one got any clues what i should be looking at? Does it sound like the gear box or clutch is on its way out? Thanks for any advice.

Thats the first thing i am going to look at when i get home. I never thought they lost fluid to be honest.

you never know, that's certainly the first thing i'd check anyway. how long have you had the car for? when was it last serviced? was the auto fluid changed?

had the supra for two years it get serviced every six months never had the auto fluid changed though just the engine oil. i was told to get a gear box filter once but toyota said that supras dont have them but surely if they have oil they have a filter ?

Guest supra01

Hello M8ty

Delayed Forward:rulez:

Improper fluid level.

Improper band/clutch application pressure.

Filter damaged or plugged.

Main control assembly gaskets damaged or bolt out of torque.

Main control separator plate damaged.

Main control solenoid stuck or damaged.

Pump assembly bolts out of specification.

Pump gears damaged or cracked.

Overdrive one-way clutch damaged.

ADs:cool:

Guest supra01
Hi Guys having a few probs basically i get to a junction and go to pull off the car is in drive but in stead of the car pulling off normally it revs up to over 4 thousand and does not go any where. It only pulls off when i let my foot off and try again. Also speedo started to go loopy this morning just flicking from 100 miles an hour to 40 to nothing whilst driving normally. Any one got any clues what i should be looking at? Does it sound like the gear box or clutch is on its way out? Thanks for any advice.

Hello M8ty

Delayed Forward

Improper fluid level.

Improper band/clutch application pressure.

Filter damaged or plugged.

Main control assembly gaskets damaged or bolt out of torque.

Main control separator plate damaged.

Main control solenoid stuck or damaged.

Pump assembly bolts out of specification.

Pump gears damaged or cracked.

Overdrive one-way clutch damaged.

ADs:cool:

Jusie,

Did the speedo problem and the gearbox problem start at the same time? Try disconnecting the speedo converter and see if either/both the problems go away.

It's unlikely to be a serious problem with the gearbox itself, they're very reliable usually. Check the fluid though. It should be red in colour and not smell burnt.

Guest amsoil

Check for the oil colour, if its red then the chances are its OK , if its brown then it needs a change and if its black then you have a major problem.

Well I had a night mare of a drive home last night. The speedo is flicking all over the place and the orange slip light is flashing but cant turn off the traction control. Every time i get to a junction and go to pull off it revs up to 4 thousand and cuts out Did it to me 5 times on way home. Checked the fluid and its fine so going to check the filter to see if it clogged but would that cause all this trouble? Or does it sound more electrical?

Thanks for that. Only had a top speed delimitor fitted last year by thor. Will get it looked at very soon not driving it at mo thought it best to leave it in the garage and get a lift in. Typical you have a third car and on the day you need it its going in for a respray.

Thanks for that. Only had a top speed delimitor fitted last year by thor. Will get it looked at very soon not driving it at mo thought it best to leave it in the garage and get a lift in. Typical you have a third car and on the day you need it its going in for a respray.

Hi Jusie,

Long time no see! Definately sounds like the speedo converter / delimiter chip. Not sure why you went for a Thor one when the car was already delimited??? That means the signal will be getting modified twice!

It was a far east services combined speedo converter / delimiter I fitted to the car, which are reknowned for being some of the best in the import market. If you're comfortable taking the dash panels off, it's easy to disconnect - just undo the connections on the back of the speedo head - you'll find the extra ones easy to spot and they will trace to a little rectangular box not far away. This will put you back to km/h speedo and odo in km readings but you'll be able to drive the car as normal again until you can source another one.

Hope this helps,

Brian.