The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Don't chuck the spare wheel

Need4Speed

I know a few people have dumped their spare wheels to fit a big sub and reckon they're OK with puncture foam, but today I had to use mine. A big split-pin went in through the tread and out through the sidewall, causing a bit of rim damage on its way. When I tried the foam stuff, the exit hole was so big that nothing sealed and I had to rely on a (fortunately unused and inflated) j-spec 13 year old space-saver. And I was in France... I drove a good hundred mile home at 48mph, but without that space-saver, I'd still be in France, probably in a bar drowning my sorrows, waiting for a tyre dealer to get a 275/35x18 for me.

thats what the RAC or AA is for, thats if your soop is staying in britian but good if your not

I think you'll find that unless you have a servicable spare, even with AA or RAC cover you'll be splashing the cash. At least that's what I had to do about 5 years ago.

i have heard about that, some say that if you have the premium service you wont get charged, others have said it depends on the driver if he implements the charge, but if i ever get a boot install and its either have the wheel or not i know what i will be choosing

i have heard about that, some say that if you have the premium service you wont get charged, others have said it depends on the driver if he implements the charge, but if i ever get a boot install and its either have the wheel or not i know what i will be choosing

I was told by the operator on the end of the phone that there would be a call out fee due to no spare.

The cars that don't have spares are supposed to carry the foamy stuff aren't they? Like I say this was, woah probably more like 8 or 9 years ago actually. :blink: so there probably wasn't many cars about that used the foam???

I know a few people have dumped their spare wheels to fit a big sub and reckon they're OK with puncture foam, but today I had to use mine. A big split-pin went in through the tread and out through the sidewall, causing a bit of rim damage on its way. When I tried the foam stuff, the exit hole was so big that nothing sealed and I had to rely on a (fortunately unused and inflated) j-spec 13 year old space-saver. And I was in France... I drove a good hundred mile home at 48mph, but without that space-saver, I'd still be in France, probably in a bar drowning my sorrows, waiting for a tyre dealer to get a 275/35x18 for me.

Yeah, I know that feeling.

Before IanC pipes up, I better own up to having a problem last year on the way back from Le Mans. Tyre was flat in Rouen. Space saver got me to Calais and then back to Norwich.

We reckon we did about 300 miles (plus!) at about 50mph.

But, hey....it got me home!

(But getting overtaken by a combine harverster on a low-loader was the height of humiliation as we had 4 Supes in convoy!)

:blush:

Its still d policy. we been with d AA since 1989 n have d top package but no spare means call out charge n charge for them getting a wheel with tyre to fit yours. stupid really but my spare came in handy twice...once wen I smashed front alloy, 2nd I hadx blow out on M25.

Trust me guys keep em!

Surj

Corvettes have different size wheels front to back
The Supra does if you're measuring rolling diameter. My space-saver is no the same diameter as my rear tyres... makes for interesting handling:blink:

You know the Uk spares are different to the J-Spec
It did cross my mind that the j-spec space-saver might not have fitted on the front with my UK brakes.

The Supra does if you're measuring rolling diameter. My space-saver is no the same diameter as my rear tyres... makes for interesting handling:blink:

It did cross my mind that the j-spec space-saver might not have fitted on the front with my UK brakes.

Damn, this brings a good point as I'm going to US front brakes soon. One more thing to check. Good thing I have ADAC.

You know the Uk spares are different to the J-Spec? Maybe a UK one would fit over at leat the rears???

Caveat. If you have a PLATE type LSD you MUST run tyres of the SAME rolling diameter on each rear side. A viscous type will get mad hot, if the tyres are different diameters, but a plate type will be buggered in short order.

This is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while.

I currently have no spare and aftermarket 18s - surely a stock space saver is going to be as usefull as a chocky teapot?

I've thought about the foam stuff, but not convinced by reports of its (lack of) effectiveness.

What do others in this situation do? get an single 18" and try and cram it in the boot? :D (leaving no space for my roof)