The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Towing with a turbo/non turbo??

Guest Jimbomoorey

Guest Jimbomoorey

Hi all, this is my first post on here so here goes......

I'm looking to buy a Supra but I need to be able to use my car to accasionally tow also, is it a good car for this? Has anyone used one to do it before? Any stats on weight I can pull etc etc??

Also does anyone have any ideas as to possibly getting a removeable tow bar for the Supra? Dont want that stickin out al the time!

All help appreciated, Cheers,

Jimbo

Guest Jimbomoorey

Awesome! Cheers for the replies lads! Yeah lookin to use it to pull a caravan, didn't wanna have to get some stuffy estate! :o)

And the missus is happy about to if it'll do it I say all stations are go!

I was hoping to get a TT, but I spose with an NA coming in at 3-6k they're more realistic. Are they ok on suspension front?

JamieP - is that your car? Is it a removeable tow bar?

Thanks again!

Awesome! Cheers for the replies lads! Yeah lookin to use it to pull a caravan, didn't wanna have to get some stuffy estate! :o)

I was hoping to get a TT, but I spose with an NA coming in at 3-6k they're more realistic. Are they ok on suspension front?

Thanks again!

pesonally i would prefer a n/a for towing, could imagine the second turbo cutting in with a caravan behind it:eyebrows:

Guest Jimbomoorey

any reasons for it not being a tow car from toyota? or is that all it says?

Yeah can imagine it suddenly takin off! spose its all down to driving it sensibly with that on the back. Just looking at long trips to Cornwall from the midlands so all m5 mostly.

Thanks again!

thats dudes car

Thanks again!

We towed a Swift Corniche 2 Berth Caravan all the way to spain with a Mk3 Supra turbo. :D

Guest Jimbomoorey

cheers for the advice/imput guys and gals, any info on getting a tow bar for one? costs etc? cheers.

No probs with the journey over that distance KatieC?

LOL to the MGF comment!

cheers for the advice/imput guys and gals, any info on getting a tow bar for one? costs etc? cheers.

No probs with the journey over that distance KatieC?

LOL to the MGF comment!

Well not bad, only that check the documentation as the mk3 supra handbook states tends to overheat over 30˚C we did most of the journey at night because it was boiling over. Temps were high at 36˚C.

Although it depends on where you want to go?

As the manual says towing is a NO with the MKIV,there will be no official stats, neither will there be any stock bars available, nor will there be any fixing points on the car. Dude's had a detachable tow ball, which he probably made up himself as itis attached through the number plate hole. I think only used the trailer a few times to take tools and wheels etc to performance events.

Due to the design of the rear of the car rigid fixing areas will be limited. I think you will really be pushing your luck with a van on the back. Light weight trailers if you must, but anything else forget it. If I found a MKIV with possible bolt holes for a tow bar, I would not buy it, unless I knew what had been towed, ie Dude's car.

Someone could fabricate a tow bar, for sure, and with its rear wheel drive and low overhang from rear wheels to the ball, and loads of torque, it should make a great tow car. BMW, with the M3, and I think the M5 say no towing, as do a lot of other performance car makers, it's to do with loads on the transmission and diff as they have such high output engines. It's to stop idiots boiling the gearbox, diff and coolant. Driven sensibly *I* can't see a probelem, but this *astard nanny state might if you had a serious accident, who knows? :(

For the same reason a dedicated tow bar maker might refuse to fabricate a bar for it, although I am sure SOMEONE would!

Good luck, I still think it would make a superb tow car, the rose rear jointed wishbones, well located back subframe, blah blah, all make for low rear wishbone compliance and a lack of rear steer, which is *JUST* what you want in a tow car, and is what makes Volvos such good ones.

Good luck with it.

Guest Jimbomoorey

Just come back on and well happy with the response from all concerned, loads of great info cheers again. I'll have to keep looking into it, or just have the supra for me and get the missus a Golf GTTDI or summat and fit it with a towbar! :o)

Just come back on and well happy with the response from all concerned, loads of great info cheers again. I'll have to keep looking into it, or just have the supra for me and get the missus a Golf GTTDI or summat and fit it with a towbar! :o)

you know it makes sence