The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active Spolier and FMIC questions

GavinL

It has been suggested that the active spoiler blade should be dropped permanently after fitment of an FMIC. I personally don't like the look of the car with the spoiler down and would prefer not to have it but Toyota must have had a good reason too put it there.

alternatively and preferrably,

Has anyone managed to get the active spoiler system after fitting of an HKS FMIC?

thanks.............Gavin

It is not so much a case that the active-spoiler blade should necessarily be dropped permanently after fitment of an FMIC. In the sense that the FMIC won't work without it or something.

Problem is, the active spoiler actuation system and FMIC are incompatible.

What members have done in the past, if they *did* want to retain this spoiler, is to simply bolt the spoiler blade in a permanent down position. As you object to having it anyway, then simply leave it off.

To my mind, the only reason Toyota fitted the system was to give the Yanks another "toy" to play with. The US market is very feature-driven and the more electronic bits and bobs that can move at the touch of a button the better. :)

It doesn't really do anything (well, nothing that I ever noticed). For a start, it is too flimsy: to the extent where, if you *do* have it bolted down, it rapidly begins to deform in the middle as a result of air pressure. Which makes it look pretty awful.

There was a time when I sort of liked it, so I developed a very simple way of mounting that was quickly detachable (for ferry ramps and the like). To get around the distortion problem, I roughed up the back with course sandpaper and applied a couple of layers of fibreglass matting. This increased its strength enormously.

Yours,

J    

just for info, the active spoiler wasnt available in the states, they all want it but balk at the £3000 price tag for all the bits. Perhaps you can sell yours to them, theres enough of them that want it.

It was available on all UK cars and its an option on the imports.

the whole spoiler thing on the Supras does raise quite a few questions about their efficiency, but I think we all accept that the rear spoiler is more for looks than any performance reason.

JB

With the speed limit at 55 in the states it's not surpising it wasn't fitted as standard.

I take your point about the rear spoiler but the front spoiler took a lot more trouble than the rear which would suggest that it serves some function/use at high speed.

gavin

The rear spoiler issue has been the subject of fierce debate in the past. And it's not my intention to open any old wounds.  

Suffice to say, my opinion has always been that the rear spoiler was there for looks only, and had the tendency to slow the car a few mph at high speed. But that the basic handling, with or without, was the same.

This opinion was derived through doing several runs both with the spoiler, and without. It was interesting to hear, not long after, that Justin independently came to the same conclusion after doing several similar high-speed runs.

As for the front spoiler, I find it *very* surprising that Toyota would have gone to all that trouble for the relatively small UK market. Which is why I simply assumed it was a Yankie thing. Especially as the spoiler really doesn't do anything. Well, except distort in the wind. :)

John, thanks for the tip of selling my unit to the US but my car never had an electric spoiler fitted. I just saw a car with one once, and kinda liked it. So I bought just the blade and the ally extrusions that support the mounting flange.

Yours,

J