The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oh what to do

Daston

Ok guys got 3 options running through my head now that I know that myself and my girlfriend can buy the house that we rent and save £100 each with our repayments. :D

Option 1) NA-T back on the go.

Option 2) Save for TT (love my NA tho and she is a good runner)

Option 3) Sell and get another Mk2 MR2 but a Tubby and use the extra cash on mod's

I am planning on selling the car in future for a Cerbera 4.5 when I can afford the insurace (4-5 years) so would like to have a good quick car till then

You can sell the NA as it is which means aiming for more people as i recon an NA-T will cut down possible buyers coz of the turbo.

Again with the MR2 it'll be modified so wont have everyone looking for it.

With the TT you get the extra power, don't really need to modify it, and at the end you still have a large market who want a stock TT.

Option 2 is most sensible and cost effective, especially if you're looking to keep the supra for a few years.

#4 Keep the NA as it is and put more pounds towards the cerbera?:taped:

Yeah, a lot more!

Daston, do you now how much a cerbera costs to run? Insurance is almost insignificant compared to the yearly servicing costs. What happens when you need the engine rebuilt (That'll cost as much as your NA Supra). Also with the posible demise of TVR spare parts will be incredibly hard to find. Even now parts for the current models can have months waiting lists from the factory. No more factory means no more parts.

When I was looking for a Cerbera, the yearly running costs worked out to around £4k, thats excluding fuel, insurance, tax, unexpected faults, etc...

Not to worried about the running costs of a cerbi the AJ8 engine isnt half as bad as the Speed Six plus now a few people at the local TVRCC who can help out so not all bad.

Seriously, you need to do more homework on this. As mentioned- if you can't afford to insure one now, you can't afford to run one period. Budget 3k pa as long as nothing breaks. My mates Cerb bankrupted the previous owner, and has already cost him a grand in 2 months.

well its not that I can't afford the insurance it's cause I'm only 22 and can't get insured

But if you're thinking of changing your car because you've suddenly gained a massive £100 a month, without intending in the least to be rude, you're not really in the Cerbera owning earning bracket yet :(

Compared to Griffiths and Chimaeras, Cerberas can cost a fortune to keep on the road. If you're unfortunate enough to blow up your RV8, there's always a replacement available, and/or someone knowledgeable to fix it.

An AJP8 is a totally different animal :(

Anyway, I digress, we weren't talking about whether you should get a Cerbera now.

I'd get the TT Supra, bags of fun, plenty fast, and reliable, although the MR2 turbo would still be a close second choice ;)

Option 1 for me. Currently having my turbo kit fitted as we speak.

Went through all the possible options of going for a TT, selling up completely and buying something else etc. I very half heartedly but my car up for sale on here, nowhere else just to see what interest I would get and tbh, I didnt do myself any favours at all. If people wanted to come view it I would specifically say I was busy that day or something, I just couldnt sell it. It roughly works out about the same to do the turbo conversion or buying the TT.

This is the way I priced it up:

A nice example of a TT 6 speed are going between 9.5k - 12k (rough figures)

Insurance (for me 21yr old, points, 2 NCB) Jspec - £1800 (roughly again) or UK spec - Just shy of £900

So say for a nice TT and insurance its somewhere between 10.5k - 13.5k? Roughly.

N/A's are going for anywhere betwen 3.5k to 6.5k at the minute. I payed 5k for mine nearly a year ago now (bloody hell, cant believe its nearly been a year!) In my eyes, it is immaculate, full jap history, full UK history etc. Paintwork mint. I've probably spent around 2k on it since I have had it and as everyone says you very rarely get your money back £ for £ on mods.

So if I were to sell mine I'd hopefully be looking for somewhere between 5.5k to maybe pushing 6k. Which would leave me wanting to find double this to afford a nice example of a TT 6 speed & Insure it. (My insurance on the N/A is 800 and something.

So:

Insure/buy TT 6 Speed 13k roughly say, could be more could be less.

Selling the n/a 6k max meaning 7k to find for the TT.

NA/T conversion 3.5k - 4k. Plus an extra £350 on my premium for the mods declared.

Thats just the way I looked at it anyway, plus all the parts used for the conversion are new - the turbo, manifold, intercooler etc etc.

And aswell as it maybe working out abit cheaper, I also can not sell my car, even if it were to buy another supra. I still remember driving home in it and seeing the 'supra' print on the steering wheel and had a smile on my face for over 400miles. I still have this smile everytime I sit in it.

Just my 2 pence worth anyway, good luck with what you decide!

:D

After reading comments about the TVR from the guys ( i know nothing about them :( ) I'd go with option 1 for now and wait a few more years to get some money together properly. In that time your wages will go up, the cars valuess will come down and your insurance premiums will be on the way down too.