The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air filter heat shields - Whats the point?

CJ

I have been thinking about the above and cannot see the point of fitting one. The aftermarket air filters suck in warm air from under the bonnet whilst the OEM type sucks in colder air when fitted inside a sealed air box. So, does anyone really think that fitting a shield thing close to one side if the air filter will make a jot of difference to the air temperature being sucked in? Does anyone think that the hot air will suddenly stop at that shield and not try to move around it? Or am I missing the point here? :blink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree but With mine i intend to extend the pipe so it s shapes down into the front right wing through the whole that is already there. Then the cold air will be coming straight through the body kit into the filter without any engine heat.

I agree but With mine i intend to extend the pipe so it s shapes down into the front right wing through the whole that is already there. Then the cold air will be coming straight through the body kit into the filter without any engine heat.

Thats what I did on my old car. To me, that makes a lot more sense than a shield.

You just miss some radiated heat, but that's all.

The warm air is still sucked in.

The funniest of all is when people leave the top part of the intake in place, although there is nothing attached to it so nothing can suck cool air from it.

Somehow people think that cold air will be 'pushed' towards the (low) performance filter. Wishful thinking.

On a similar topic - is there any point in keeping the standard air box feeder pipe (the one that goes over the radiator) if you have a radiator/FMIC/slam panel thingy fitted? It would seem to me that these panels would actually block off air flow to the standard setup???

heat shield plus some ducting might make a small difference, i.e. if you can 'encourage' fresh cold air to flow into the separated area then it starts to make sense, a little bit. Some kits are like this now I've seen, basically forming an aftermarket airbox.

What I'd like in an airfilter in a sealed can with cold air piping from the front, but no one seems to make a decent one :( might have to make your own.

got any pcitures of the filter in the front wing thing? doesn't the filter get covered in crap over time?

yeah now that's what I'm talking about lol, looks spot on.

so, anyone feeling handy gonna try making one of these? If so, how about making 2 lol a potential customer here... I'd have a go myself but it looks a little bit involved, but maybe I'll give it a go, only basic tools and time needed.

The heat shield stops the hot engine/rad air from the fan being blown straight into the filter, and it also cuts down on ambient air heat soak. You feel the air temp with just your hand either side of a heat shield and you'll realise how they help with stationary cars.

When you boot it, there is a low pressure caused at the air filter so air from the surrounding area rushes in to try and equalise the pressure. This air comes from the easiest source. If the really hot bit by the engine and radiator is sealed off by 80% or so, not much of that hot air will be ingested, it'll all come from the stock intake areas instead.

-Ian