The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Attempted to change pads/discs

AJI

Well as the title says, I attempted a full change of pads and discs today... it looks like an easy job to do.... that being remove pins from callipers, slide out the pads , take off the callipers, remove the discs and then slide on new discs, slide in new pads and redo all the bolts/pins etc. estimated time 3 hours.

5 hours later .... as with all car mechanical jobs that I try myself it seems I have to come across the biggest pain in the ar$e bolts you've ever seen.

The pins for one thing take an imense amount of effort to even start to move, the calliper bolts are unbelieveably tight and don't budge one millimeter, and on top of that I've now got two cut fingers, a bad back and a black and blue thumb.

Nice day weather wise in which I could have been out and about in my Supra, but no, my bright idea of "hmmm... think I'll save a couple of quid here, I'll do this myself"... sees me pi$$ed off, with only one new disc in place.... only the rear pads changed and now having to phone up my local garage to get them to finish off what I started.

I could only get the left hand side calliper bolts to come free, and I could only get the rear brake pins to come free. Everything else was on tighter than a scotsman's purse strings ! ;)

Hope the garage have better luck.

I've been there! Had to do exactly the same thing when I changed my front discs, one of the caliper bolts on the passenger side I couldn't budge and I was starting to round it off so I had to change the driver side disc and pads back again and take it down the garage! Then I went out a bought a great big breaker bar from Halfords for next time! Sometimes you just can't get enough leverage without it being up on a ramp.

Similar Problem last week for me,, One of the pins on the back calliper woudn't come, ended up mushrooming the pin, snaping it off and out, and then buying a new one from toyota.

NOW I GOT A NASTY BRAKE SQUEAK IN REVERSE! I need to have a proper look at my handbrake drums. leans to one side nose up on a hill with handbrake on!

:rlol: Been there,done that.Now still got the rears to go,but a little voice is telling me to rather take it to a garage:D It doesn't beat the satisfaction of having had the job done by yourself though:)

To get the pins out, cut them in half then you've only got half the resistance to deal with at once. It's easier if you take the caliper off, remove the disc then refit the caliper to hold it while you cut with a junior hacksaw. Even if you get the pins out in one piece it's a good idea to replace them. To get the caliper bolts off use a 17mm socket with an 18" breaker bar.