The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dash refurb

Guest mk47

well finally decided to get up off my ass and do my dash.. in a dark bluey sort of colour.

was a long process with finding an easy way to take the rubber off.. first off starting with using detergents and scrubbing with sponge/cloth etc, and then a 2p peice as advised.

so set off first of all with the ashtray to test and see how it would come out.

seems that after alot of rubbing and after primer and paint it came out very well, so proceeded to the gear box surround.

at this point i pondered as to what may aid in removing the rubber in a less strainful way - so me and my friend decided after numerous tests on the "spoon technique".. yes, this involves using a small spoon to scrape off the rubber with no aid of any detergents etc, and it worked very well. for the easier parts a plastic scraper was then used. please refer to pics.

having now completed 2 sections after 4 hours of hard work (primered/painted/and ready to fit) and the remaining parts of the dash having removed the rubber ready to be primed and painted tomorrow.

here are pictures of progress so far..

will post a complete report tomorrow with completed pictures :)

Image021.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image016.jpg

Image018.jpg

nice one :)

ps: I think someone on here mentioned if you rub alcohol on it first it just disolves and falls off!

Hope to do mine soon, can't decide on a colour though but probably all matt black I suspect.

yeah it was me isopropyl alcohol (i think thats the spelling), get the pour on stuff and not the spray stuff, pour it on a small area and rub with a rough towel but use your whole finger as if your giving a finger print at the local police station cause as soon as it melts off it melts back on lol