The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID Lights

Eric Kasir

Has anyone had any experience / seen a Supra with a HID light conversion? I think I read once ages ago on the other list about Phillips offering a conversion for the Supra. Does anyone have any info?

In theory would it be a drop in unit, or is there a lot more to it?

I absolutely LOVE the blue light on my mates M5, the night time illumination really is heaps better than my Supra.

Eric

Powerhouse Racing do the HID bulbs and transformers for the MKIV. I've been tempted to get them for mine once the car is back on the road. They look ace so I'm told.

Yours,

J

If I remember correctly it's the Philips Xenon kit that's best for the Supra. It drops sraight in without any mods.

expensive though, about $800 in the US so probably about the same in £'s here :-(

You may want to do a search on "HID" on the US MKIV mail list archives there is a lot of discussion on there and I think they did a group buy on the Philips kit

regards

Eric...........

Yes just a bulb swap with an additional transformer. The fitment of which I assume you simply snip the existing plug and solder the wires onto the transformer connections. I do not know the size of the transformer or where it can be best fitted. But if someone goes ahead and buys a set, and needs some fitment advice, I'll do my best to help.

Personally, I'm waiting a while as I think the price may fall as they get more popular. My car isn't on the road so I'm not missing anything. (Unless Mr Foden decides to organise a group purchase at such a low price I cannot resist!)

I've got a red neon kit that I'll be fitting underneath my car, and I think the HID lamps will go with the neons perfectly.

Yours,

J  

Quote: from Ash on 12:08 pm on Aug. 7, 2001[br]

I've got a red neon kit that I'll be fitting underneath my car, and I think the HID lamps will go with the neons perfectly.

Paul, pass the bucket I think I'm gunna be sick!!

Ash you do realise how tacky that sounds don't you! You've just lost all our respect!

Guess you'll be crusin' for chicks daern sarth soon. Wicked!!

(I'm sure others can phrenetically spell crusing language better than I)

Errm no offence meant Ash but please tell us your not really going to do that... we might as well all get to gether to buy you a smoke machine for your birthday.....

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Cheers

Guest Martin F

I reckon when people see the Fast and Furious, those under car neon's are going to be popular again.

Can look very effective in the right situation, i.e. not the M25 at 5.30pm  :biggrin:

Guys, okay, to an extent I'm on a mild wind-up. But I DO have the neons which I'm going to be using for a night-time photo shoot. I want a pic of me doing a burn-out with the red light showing through the smoke. It's kind of a promotional thing.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Paul Booth on 12:24 pm on Aug. 7, 2001[br]What's involved?

What's the individual bulb price?

I'm going to assume the 'transformer' is actually an inverter, which is absolutely NOT rocket science, so if we can seperate out the bulb/transformer costs, maybe it becomes more viable.

I have a set of these on my car. They are more pure white looking than blue but the difference between the HID and stock lights is like day and night, the HID have a much higher light output and the pattern is much better.

You don't even have to solder anything, the stock connector plugs right into the transformer and the transformer plugs into the HID bulb, which fits in the same place as the stock light. You can use the stock reflector.

I ordered mine from www.mvpmotorsports.com, I think the kit was like $635 total. The replacement bulbs cost something like $100 each but if you are careful enough they will last a couple of years.

BTW I tried getting them from Philips or Hella in Europe but this kit is not available over here, you have to get it from the USA. They are ofcourse not legal but who is going to notice that they are not stock? The HID lights are not like those tacky yellow or blue fake xenon bulbs.

Flavio

sent on behalf of Justin Foden

Update on the HID lights plus other bits

As requested earlier in the week, I now have a supplier for the HID lights for the mkiv supra. The unit replaces the dipped lights. I have 1 kit in stock, with another 5 kits being delivered in about 6 weeks time. The price is expected to be £511.13 including vat with delivery costing an extra £12. This price may be subject to change on future units due to changes in exchange rates and shipping so please double check the price with me if you are interested.

I also have access to

Bomex FnF bumpers at £493 delivered inc vat

FnF rear wing £390 delivered inc vat

FnF graphic kit £700 delivered inc vat (this is not a misprint...)

Icebox for mkiv air intake £230 delivered inc vat

Rod Millen rear wing (carbon centre) £530 delivered inc vat

Trial Hood £900 delivered inc vat

Supra Dial Kits £100 delivered inc vat

and for anybody who is interested the TRD Genuine Bonnet should be about £1,500 delivered inc vat but please verify this price with me if you want one.

Dont forget the RL TC group buy is still running until the 26th August, the first few orders are due to be delivered in the next couple of days.

any queries about any of these parts please mail [email protected] or if you are interested in the HID units please call Justin on 07931 879908.