The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre wear rates

Digsy

Gents,

I'm starting to do some serious bugeting for my car's running costs.

The only thing I have not really tied down yet is how often I will have to replace my tyres. Usually on my everyday sensible car I can get away with a pair on the front of rear every year or so, but I'm guessing that changes on the Supra will be a little bit more frequent :-)

Can anyone give me an idea of how long a pair of fronts / rears lasts on an SZ in terms of miles? I won't be doing any track days, and most of my driving will be 50-90mph cruising to and from work.

I know it depends a lot on compound, tread patterm etc, etc. All I am looking for is a ballpark figure, really.

Hi...

I ahve AVON ZZR1's on my car, dry grip is okay, wet grip is poor - generally they are a hard, long lasting compund good for about 15000-18000 miles by all accounts and about £80-90 per tyre.

At the other end of the scale Bridgestone SO3's are almost everything you could want from a tyre at about £120-150 a peice and last about 6000-9000 miles.

6000 - 9000 miles ?  that all ?

I guess it's how you drive it that counts a lot.

I'd heard that S-03's were slightly longer lasting compared to their predecessor, the S-02.      S-03 is still a soft tyre, but i think you could get 10k or more from them.     They only came out in May though, so i don't think anyone has had a chance to wera them out yet !

For sure, when my tyres need replacing (and the front's are close) i will be getting S-03's.    In the rain, i think i'll be thankful !

Yoko Sport AVS' are rated. I'll be having them next time as they wear slightly better than SO-2's which I have at the moment. I've driven 6000+ miles on SO-2's and I think they'll last only another 4-5000 miles and I do similar journey's to you only mine are twice as long :(

yeah but we all KNOW that Justin drives like a loony 110% of the time !!     Justin would trash *any* tire in 2000 miles, no problem....

BTW - Alex - i've got AVS Sport's on the rear of my car.  they're fine, good grip in dry and wet, and wear well.    I can recommend them and they will certainly last better than S-02's.      Someone else has got them too (Paul somebody) and he has done 3 hard track days and 10,000 miles on them and he says they're not worn out yet.     so if you want some good tyres that last longer than S-02's, get AVS Sports.    

I just fancy trying the S-03's to see what i think of them.  I don't do big mileage so fast-wearing tyres doesn't bother me.

Does anyone know anything about "Vredenstein" tyres.

They're apparently a new tyre with a high performance option in the range, at good prices.

Powerstation swear by Toyo as does my local tyre supplier. He runs them on his Merc (CLK I think).

I know there are reports which show Eagle F1s as being a good 2nd place.

I'm confused too.

Cheers Stu,

As I have to drive 24000 miles a year not including track days I have to get a harder compound but having said that the SO-2's have been fantastic.

For a track Tire has any one tries those Michelin Assimetric (MXX3's???) Tyres - the new ones which are intended for Track/Road use.

I've heard a lot about AVON ZZR1s as being a cheap and hard wearing tyre (a la Gavin).

Are they really that bad in the wet? Would you describe them as "not very good" or "downright dangerous"?

If they are poor for a TT, would they be alright on an NA?

Questions, questions, questions...

Hi...

There is thread on this BBS that ended up on the subject of the Avon ZZ1's including comment from a member who works for Avon. I cannot recall anyone who contributed to that discussion said anything positive other than wear rate of the tyre.

As for fitting to NA supra. The grip level of the tyres in the wet is not good and by virtue of that the wet weather braking also suffers and on that basis I would not fit this tyre to any car for road use. Not a bad tyre for dry track days though.

In my opionion you should not consider this tyre in your shortlist, first time out in the wet I think you would regret it.

regards....

Quote: from ajefford on 12:09 pm on Aug. 17, 2001[br]Reviews ? where on-line?

Can't remember now, I didn't keep the URL but it's in one of the threads on the BBS here. It's a collection of reviews from several sources.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

All I can tell you is the Bridgestone came out on top overall in all reviews (wear was not considered). Goodyear Eagle F1s came an inconsistent second (some raved others not).

All others were rated in some tests, not in others. Some tyres came out as terrible across the board and the only review I saw Yokos in, they came way down.

Toyos (which I've had before on a Golf GTI and loved) rated about 50% but Powerstation, who use them on their Subaru track demonstrator, think Toyos are better than Bridgestone in the wet.

I think I am going to go with Bridgestone, simple on the basis that I don't want to be selling off my add-ons as soonas the weather turns bad and if that means I have to replace them more frequently, so be it.

I don't have a $10 head so I didn't buy a $10 helmet and I'm not buying a $10 solution for my wheels.

The same reason that loads of Mercs and BMWs have Continental fitted. Manufacturers negotiate a cheap deal.

The only other argument would be that Yokohamas run better on Japanes roads and Continental tyres run better on the Autobahns, 'cos neither of them run very well on British roads.

Doh!