The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my car went for jigging today and .......

jamesmark

hi guys

not a good day for me, my car went for jigging today as i bought a dud, never done my research anyway i have kicked myself in the ass for doing such a thing so enough of the mental torture

went away to get jigged and the whole chassis is twisted, it never lined up to any of the jigging pointd, the jigger thinks by just looking at it that its been shunted from behind and slammed into something in the front, but will give me a detailed report in 4 days time

my front passenger side is raised in the air by about 1.5 inch and the rear is twisted out too, they are driving with a slight angle on them, so in effect "dragging"

4 days its going to take to get it straightened,

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we talkin bout the black one in your garage.... it looks fine...

I guess its suprising what can be covered up...

Hope she comes back 100% straight...

yeah its the black one, its amazing what a body kit can do to cover it up, its not had a declared smash over here as i checked that out with my body shop guy so its either been brought over damaged like that red one jurgen warned us about or its been smashed over here and done by a back street garage either way its been done to the pissiest poorest job possible

Real sorry for you mate, but it could have been worse, it could have been unrepairable, then you really would have kicked yourself.

thats the main thing that it is repairable and will come back out straight, a toyota shell like all japs can handle a lot of punishment

At the rear, one side was clearly higher than the other. Mark had brand new susp. set-up fitted and the problem remained.

As there is some very obvious repair work on the car, it was decided that the car needed to go on a jig to see it that was the problem.

Sadly it is.

At the rear, one side was clearly higher than the other. Mark had brand new susp. set-up fitted and the problem remained.

As there is some very obvious repair work on the car, it was decided that the car needed to go on a jig to see it that was the problem.

Sadly it is.

Nice one for noticing, sure 600 bucks is got to hurt but at least it can be and is being fixed... :)

this was my first go at a high performance car (in the supra power range) and at first i put it down to rear wheel drive, as the only other cars that i have driven that have been rear wheel drive have been a few ferrari's.

it was abit jitterish, would snap away at the front with out even steering, as martin mentioned it was raised up and lower at the back, so i thought it was the suspension, so i got this checked and we found a leaky strut at the front, now i never just buy pairs if one is gone i will replce the whole lot so i got a full suspension kit of koni's and eibachs and when they were fitted the car was level, but the the suspension bedded in and i was extremely low at the front catching the wheel on the arch, so we decided to go down the jigging route and this is where it was found that it never measured up to any jigging point on the car, at first we thought it was just the passenger side front that was out and little in the back but it was totally out

£650 is very cheap for jigging there are some places that can charge about 200 for each mm it is out by and with mines needing pulled in several positions its a bargain

think its a massive machine which pulls it out

Think of a big vice with your car clamped in it. Then think of a hydraulic arm clamped on to your chassis rails that pulls your car with a force that resembles the moons gravitational pull. :D

Does it weaken the car at all?

Depends how bad the damage was. Usually if a chassis rail is kinked to the extent that pulling it straight is going to leave a weak spot, the car would be written off as a cat b. If you ever get the chance to watch a car being jigged, go and take a look. It's absolutely amazing! I remember watching a really hard hit supra being pulled, and it looked like it was made of tin foil! Once the dozer arm starts pulling, you can visibly see the gaps coming back and the panels and roof straighten before your eyes. Crazy stuff. Hence the usual high price for a jig session. :)