The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Entry induction????

Alex

Probably been day dreaming again and not listening but here goes.

Ok, we know that the bigger the intercooler the more lag you CAN suffer. So, is the problem overcome if you either.

1) Have a very big bore entry point into the intercooler and a very large pipe leading to it with a very big air filter on the end.

2) Have a full twin entry system into the Intercooler (two fully seperated pipes running in parallel into the intercooler) and two normal sized hard pipes leading to standard Induction heads.

I realise that this would require a new custom made intercooler. but would the extra air flow, hypathetically, bypass the extra lag you would normally associate with the larger intercoolers.

Just a thought. I dunno me and my hypotheticals!

Laters

Or would I then just spoil the intercooler and not allow it to do the job its intended for.

I believe the lag relates to the time taken to pressurise the whole instake system.

I think on the big list they said its like trying to blow up a crisp packet compared to a dustbin bag, takes lots more air to get them up to the same pressure.

So no matter what you do about pipework its still becomes a question of how much air it takes to 'fill' the whole instake system.

JB

Well, until Ash tells us the formula, I understand it's something to do with the P/V ratio, i.e., if you can supply air at a particular rate and you know the volume then you can calculate the time to achieve any pressure.

So if you increase the volume and don't change the air supply then it will take longer to achieve the same pressure.

To maintain the status quo (don't go there), if you change one parameter you have to change another to maintain the same P/V end-point.

So you could compare blowing up a bin-bag as opposed to blowing up a crisp bag. ;)

(Edited by Paul Booth at 2:58 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

Check out Phil's posts count, Mr. devil are we???? Phil don't make another post for a while please.... just so as people don't think I'm mad!

As for the subject I'm now lost in all your jargon. Was it a good idea or not. I''m pointing the induction kits at the air flow like a big scoop. So at speed it must add something. Yes? Not saying it will help from a standing start.

Yey or Ney?

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 2:19 pm on Aug. 22, 2001[br]Probably been day dreaming again and not listening but here goes.

Ok, we know that the bigger the intercooler the more lag you CAN suffer. So, is the problem overcome if you either.

1) Have a very big bore entry point into the intercooler and a very large pipe leading to it with a very big air filter on the end.

Errrrrrr ........ surely shum mistake.......

The turbos have 2 be in there between the filter and the ic ........:wink:

so ya would need big twins( ie True Twin Turbo, not sequential).for the twin entry..............now its gettin very expensive............... but hey its yo money!!

I've just found out I'm not so mad its just that Toyota were forced to put the turbo's before the intercooler because of a lack of space. Some manufacturers cool the inlet air before it gets to the turbo's hence my above blunder...

So now what we really need is a water cooled charge cooler in between the intake and the turbo's .... Simple  :biggrin: