The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project PT67DBB

SimonB

Thought I'd start a thread showing what I'm up to this week and next - fitting my DIY Garrett GT35R single kit! Basic specs:

Garrett GT35R turbo, 0.82 A/R T4 flange exhaust housing with Vband outlet.

SSE (Arnouts) cast manifold & pipework

HKS 50mm racing wastegate

custom 3 inch intercooler pipework

Other supporting stuff:

GReddy Emanage ultimate (replaces my blue one)

Innovate LC1 wideband sensor (replaces my AEM one)

Power Enterprise 660cc injectors

Random Technology 3inch 1st decat pipe (replaces my CW one)

3inch 2nd decat (replaces my CW one)

So far I've unwired my Emanage blue and AEM wideband wired my Ultimate and Innovate wideband in, and I've literally just finished stripping the stock turbos off! Didn't take any pictures of that process - there's plenty of info out there already and I couldn't be arsed. Suffice it to say it's not a fun job! Didn't have too much difficulty though, the correct tools are a must here.

Make sure you have a nice big breaker bar (I have a 18" and a 24" one from Halfords - does the job brilliantly), good quality 10mm,12mm,13mm,14mm,14mm deep, 17mm, 17mm deep and 19mm sockets, 12mm,13mm and 14mm flexi head ratchet spanners from Halfords, a good 1/2inch ratchet, a good set of wobble bar extensions from Machine Mart (these are brilliant). Oh, and a set of torx spanners for getting studs out can be handy.

I used the "take the first turbo off" technique rather than try and get them both off at once. It took me a fair while , probably because I took off more stuff than I needed to, but got there in the end. Here's my engine bay with the turbos off, the pile of remains and a general pic showing my work area - I've pulled the front of the car into the garage - not ideal but does the job.

strippedblock.jpg

turboremains.jpg

garage.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What cams are you using?

Standard for now, we'll see about that a bit later. Going to trial fit stuff tomorrow and hopefully my various pipe bends will join up to the intercooler, and my exhaust pipework will join up! The throttle body side intercooler pipe and my new intake pipe are off having bits welded on at the mo until early next week.

your braver than me bud, i only did the water pump last week and that made me sweat, oh and i cant find a 10 ton bottle jack anywhere on my car? let us know how you get on.

That's because it's hidden under the heat shield by the turbos along with an old cupboard...:p

Didn't get too much done yesterday as a friend was visiting, but here's what I did manage. Pics are of:

1. K&N filter on the idle control valve
  2. Oil drain fitting - make sure you use PTFE tape on the NPT fitting to avoid leaks. This fitting was from the Boostlogic oil feed/drain kit.
  3. Oil feed blockoff - fitting from the Boostlogic kit - use the stock crush washer to avoid leaks.

IACfilter.jpg

oildrain.jpg

oilfeedblockoff.jpg

Then I set about trial fitting the manifold, turbo etc. The exhaust side all connects up with my 1st decat pipe perfectly. So I started figuring out where my intercooler pipework is going to go. It's going down from the turbo outlet rather than through the wing - I'm going to use the wing hole for a cold air feed for the intake.

1st pic shows the manifold etc in place. 2nd one shows the intercooler piping with the various bends cut down to fit. You can see the long blue silicon section - really I need to get a bit of straight pipe welded on to the 90 degree bend this connects to, but this will do for now.

turbotrialfit.jpg

fmicpipe.jpg

Since the GT35R is water cooled, I need a water feed and drain. I'm going to use the feed off the water pump body just above the alternator and one of the drains on the top rad elbow. I ran into a bit of a problem here as the hose I bought was a bit too small for the nipples (I couldn't be arsed removing the stock nipples and drilling and tapping for new fittings). The fittings on the turbo are -6, but -6 hose is a bit too small. I managed to squeeze it on though, although the nice hose finishers I bought are too small so plain old hose clamps will have to do! The pics show the hose squeezed on to the nipples.

waterfeeds.jpg

waterfeed2.jpg

Are you going to Le Mans again? I hope you get this finished in time.

Yep. It's got to be finished by the end of the week, I drive it to work every day! Going to wrap the downpipe and 1st decat pipe with exhaust wrap now, then fit everything properly tomorrow. I'm waiting for Turbo Dynamics to finish welding the flange for the BOV onto the intercooler pipe and a fitting on to the intake pipe, hopefully that'll be done in the next couple of days. Then I just need to change the injectors, put everything back together and map it with the aid of my nice new det cans!

Guest Terry S
Since the GT35R is water cooled, I need a water feed and drain. I'm going to use the feed off the water pump body just above the alternator and one of the drains on the top rad elbow. I ran into a bit of a problem here as the hose I bought was a bit too small for the nipples (I couldn't be arsed removing the stock nipples and drilling and tapping for new fittings). The fittings on the turbo are -6, but -6 hose is a bit too small. I managed to squeeze it on though, although the nice hose finishers I bought are too small so plain old hose clamps will have to do! The pics show the hose squeezed on to the nipples.

are you sure they are -6 Simon. Most Garrett stuff is Metric, and mine deffo isnt -6.

are you sure they are -6 Simon. Most Garrett stuff is Metric, and mine deffo isnt -6.

Yes, you're right the thread on the turbo itself is 14mmx1.5, but the unions I got from ATP are that thread to -6. I thought that was the correct size for the nipples, but I'd have been better off with probably -8. Never mind, they'll do the job.

Also, because the turbo sits in a slightly different place with Arnout's manifold to the Boostlogic one and the wastegate gets slightly in the way the oil drain hose from the Boostlogic kit wasn't quite long enough by about an inch! So I had to take the fittings off and use some spare -10 hose I had to make a slightly longer one.

Guest Terry S
Yes, you're right the thread on the turbo itself is 14mmx1.5, but the unions I got from ATP are that thread to -6. I thought that was the correct size for the nipples, but I'd have been better off with probably -8. Never mind, they'll do the job.

Also, because the turbo sits in a slightly different place with Arnout's manifold to the Boostlogic one and the wastegate gets slightly in the way the oil drain hose from the Boostlogic kit wasn't quite long enough by about an inch! So I had to take the fittings off and use some spare -10 hose I had to make a slightly longer one.

Yeah thats sounds right although mine has been running -6 water lines for the past 18 Months on it with no issue.

HTH

ive got a few modded banjo unions which i made up last year for my gt35r install before i changed to aero fitting..they are as close as you can get -6 id. one i made into a 90o and the other is 60o angle so to miss oil lines etc..

ive got the bolts washers etc... might get you going for the weekend mate :) ..

here are a few pictures of how i did mine in the end..

ive got a full break down of all the fittings,part numbers for the aeroquip if you need them.

ive got a few modded banjo unions which i made up last year for my gt35r install before i changed to aero fitting..they are as close as you can get -6 id. one i made into a 90o and the other is 60o angle so to miss oil lines etc..

ive got the bolts washers etc... might get you going for the weekend mate :) ..

Looks a very neat job there. Thanks for the offer, I'm ok for now, I managed to squeeze the -6 hose on to the standard nipples which is fine for now. It just doesn't look quite as neat as it could. I might get round to doing something a bit better like you have later.

Not too much progress today, I wrapped the downpipe and 1st decat pipe with exhaust wrap and sprayed it with heat coating. Then I tightened up all the bolts etc on the turbo, manifold, downpipe, wastegate etc, fitted it with new manifold nuts and torqued them up to 39N-m as specified in the tech manual. That was much more of a pain than I was expecting, one nut in particular underneath is a right sod to get threaded on and tightened. Finally managed it and then attached the 1st and 2nd decats up and the exhaust. That all fit perfectly which was a relief! Then I put the bracket and support I took off when taking the turbos off back and attached all the oil and water lines and called it a day.

decatwrapped.jpg

turboassembly.jpg